Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Ohio State Offers Larry Scott

Jbuckeye559's picture
March 5, 2014 at 4:46pm
43 Comments

Ohio State finally offered Hubbard(OH) RB Larry 'LJ' Scott. Can we see a commitment soon?

HattanBuck85's picture

Love this offer. Kid is a beast. 

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

osu07asu10's picture

Saban offers Ohio kid,...Urban gets commitment from Ohio kid!! Come on LJ!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

BuckeyeJ's picture

Need him and Harris! 

+1 HS
Jeremy Birmingham's picture

This is - in my opinion - an offer that has academic conditions on it.

Jbuckeye559's picture

You think so Birm? 

-1 HS
osubuck57's picture

Wonder if he'll feel slighted like Crawford did??

SCOTTC.

LJ has to know full well why this offer hasn't come until now. If he's not at Ohio State and he wants to be, he now knows that it's entirely because he didn't handle his business off the field.

Ericgobucks's picture

Crawford mentioned that he felt slighted, but I wonder how much that affected his decision? Wasn't he a life-long Wolverines fan? Seems like just a jab at his rival that he could make as a recruit. Can't imagine he thinks U of M will be in a better place than Ohio State over the next few years. 

teddyballgame's picture

I'm glad they offered him

+1 HS
Jbuckeye559's picture

If he can't make it for OSU I sure dnt think he can make it for Alabama. Mich St. Seems like they will take someone like tht. West Virginia is in desperate need of talent like tht. If the SEC lands him I can see Kentucky making a push for him. "Kentucky" what's up with them targeting OH now?

Hayesedandconfused's picture

They will let anyone in at Alabama.  And I mean anyone.

+1 HS
m5987usus's picture

Birm does this offer have anything to do with Damien Harris?  I know the staff wouldn't offer any player they didn't think was an OSU player but was wondering if they did not feel like they had a good shot at Harris so are reorganizing the priorities for RB's in this class??

O-H!

teddyballgame's picture

I don't think it's anything like that.  The staff has how many offers out there for QB right now?  They still feel good about Gibson though...

Bama offered both Harris and Scott just two days apart, so they're both potentially elite runningbacks. 

I think that's just how you have to recruit these days ...it's important to get your foot in the door early with as many of these bigtime players as you can.  Don't go falling in love with any one particular kid.

weimerad's picture

So is Damien Harris still the #1 RB target? Will they take both Harris and Scott since they are both bigger backs? And how will Harris react to OSU offering Scott now?

Jbuckeye559's picture

Harris is still #1 I think and I don't think it will change Damien's mind on OSU. There's schools out there tht get more than one RB under their belt at the end of it all 

Damien Harris runs a sub 4.40, so just because he's not "small," don't mistake him for a "big back." 

Jbuckeye559's picture

On twitter about LJ

RT @GerdOzone: Recently offered RB L.J. Scott as a freshman RB in 2011: "After HS, I want to go to Ohio State and play football there."

+1 HS
m5987usus's picture

Birm is osu now the favorite for him?

O-H!

I don't think so, honestly. I think MSU is still in the best position to take him.

Ahh Saturday's picture

Not disagreeing with you, but I can't think of a single Ohio prospect with an OSU offer that has EVER chosen Sparty over the Buckeyes.  Why do you see LJ leaning that way?  Is this fallout from the Buckeye choke job in Indy last season?

teddyballgame's picture

Academics don't matter to the SEC and Mich st.

+2 HS

Nothing to do with on the field stuff, all based on the fact that right now MSU would/could take him and Ohio State's offer is conditional on improved standing academically. It's something the Buckeyes have done before, give the kid a challenge and let him "prove" he wants to be a Buckeye by doing what he has to do.

This offer has nothing to do with Damien Harris or any other running back. Buckeyes want two RBs in 2015 and Scott, if he's taking care of his stuff in the classroom, is without question OSU calibre. 

m5987usus's picture

Your the best thank you birm best in the biz!

O-H!

Seattle Linga's picture

Good to hear Birms - looking forward to his continued growth off and on the field

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Lets hope this isn't another Shelton Gibson situation.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

Jbuckeye559's picture

Vote Birm for president! 

I think that's a very accurate summation of what we should expect.

Gray Box's picture

Scott's junior year lead to some impressive numbers and a nice highlight reel. 

Total Rushing Yards: 1681 | Average Rushing Yards: 9.44 | Carries: 178 | Long 87 yards | Touchdowns 21

Larry Scott - 2015 | OH | RB | Jr. Highlights: 

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

The video has 614 views. Fitting.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I was jus just going to ask "where's the video?" You always come through, Gray Box.

The kid is built and runs like El Guapo. He also seems to have good vision.

+1 HS
spkCrow's picture

Just as an added note to this video, the videos taken at the field with AF in the center is against Aurora High School, Hubbard's 2nd round playoff matchup

Scott Killian
TBDBITL C-Row 2005-2008
WMBDWB

KeithMC33's picture

Wow, i haven;t really seen any video of him before, but i am pretty impressed! Let's hope for his sake he can get the off-field issues taken care of. 

On a side note, hat gets me in some of these recruiting videos are the quality of the fields these young men are playing on. I know that is kind of odd to say, but i remember in HS that most of the field we played on were just awful! I just turned 36, so i have been out of HS for a few months, but it seems that more and more schools are going to that synthetic/grassy "turf", which is pretty cool. It would have been nice playing on a nicer field while i was letting RB's run past me like i was the finish line at a Nascar race. 

spkCrow's picture

Hubbard actually installed that field this season, the first offensive play they ran on the new turf was a 70yd td run by LJ. Birm, I can say from talking to the kid (I'm a coach of a different sport at Hubbard and have had various run ins with him) that he is actually very bright. His family moved to the Hubbard school district from Youngstown a while back and quite frankly the Youngstown city schools are to blame for a lot of his issues, he just had a bad base for his education. The good news is that his on field work ethic does translate to the classroom, so here's hoping he can have a solid, injury free, senior season and be in Columbus very soon. 

Scott Killian
TBDBITL C-Row 2005-2008
WMBDWB

+3 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Good outlook, greater possibilities based on your observations.  Glad to hear he is overcoming the shortcomings of the previous school district  (whether it be limitations, distractions, whatever) and hope that he decides to join what is going to be a very good year for OSU recruiting.  Thanks for the extra insight.

... now, no recruiting violations when you "bump" into him Scott.  lol

Go Bucks!

Don't mistake what I've said for me suggesting that he's not intelligent, I've never had the chance to speak to LJ personally, and no matter what I'd not make that sort of assumption. My grades weren't great in high school either, and most of that is because I was not challenged and because I was lazy. 

johnny11's picture

He would be the guy I like as our bruiser type back for the class if we can't get Patrick.

m5987usus's picture

How fast does he run? Is he a 4.4 guys or so ?

O-H!

johnny11's picture

I haven't seen a posted time from him at any camps, but judging from film he looks like a 4.6 to 4.5 type guy.

ScarletGray43157's picture

Hard to say what his straight-line 40 speed is by looking at these highlights but he has an above-average burst and changes direction well and knows how to use his blockers,  

Good physical strength and excellent balance as well.   

In old Ohio there's a team that's known throughout the land...

lljjgg's picture

Noticed a lot of Crystal Balls for Scott to MSU over the last few days (including 11w's John Brandon).

Any news he's leaning that way now?

He's been leaning that way for a while.

Seattle Linga's picture

We got some time on our hands and I hope the pressure will be enough to sway our way.