Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Torrance Gibson Nominated at ESPN's Sport Science Newton Awards

Gray Box's picture
February 8, 2014 at 5:34pm
18 Comments

Torrance Gibson is nominated for 'Best Throw' at ESPN's Sport Science Newton Awards. I believe Gibson is one of only two athelets to be nominated while on their high school team this year and he's got some stiff competition. Here are all the nominees for the 'Best Throw' category: 

Aaron Rodgers, Quarterback / Green Bay Packers

Rodgers finds wide receiver Jordy Nelson with a laser, releasing the ball at nearly 60 mph to dissect the 49ers.

Manny Machado, Third Baseman / Baltimore Orioles

Ranging to his right, well past the 3rd baseline, Machado releases the ball with an angular velocity of 1300 degrees per second, to burn a Yankee with his hot corner heave.

Jameis Winston, Quarterback / Florida State University

The eventual Heisman Trophy winner fights off Boston College defenders, and launches a 57-mph Hail Mary just .06 seconds before contact to bum out B.C.

Yasiel Puig, Outfielder / Los Angeles Dodgers

Rookie sensation Yasiel Puig releases a 95-mph throw from right field to gun down a baserunner from over 200 feet away.

Torrance Gibson, Quarterback / American Heritage High School

An amazing scramble results in a run and gun heave for the touchdown. (It's the first play of the video in the tweet.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Can't wait to see him do that at Ohio State.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
theshoe's picture

Assuming he chooses Ohio State

Grande Gustavo's picture

Well I'm certainly not hoping he does that at OSU if he is playing for another team.

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check. 

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

This is our most important recruit since xBrax.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I think McMillan with the situation we're in at LB was a bit more important than Brax was at the time. We need a good backer, and he's one of the best.

But Gibson if he keeps getting better and faster and stronger will be TP 2.0.

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

First time I've watched film on Gibson...had no idea he was a southpaw. I want based solely on that...dont know why, but I dig left handed qbs. Impressive athlete and seems to have solid mechanics and footwork in the pocket. And can obviously sling the rock on the run pretty well too. I can see why this is the guy they have zeroed in on and hand picked as their guy. Is urban handling his recruitment personally?

Gray Box's picture

247Sports has both Tom Herman and Zach Smith listed as Gibson's Ohio State recruiters. They have their crystal ball at 61% for Gibson to go to Ohio State as of right now too. Gibson and Meyer definitely talk though.

+2 HS
John Brandon's picture

Gibson is an absolute stud, I know I'm stating the obvious but he would be huge. Add him to Collier and Barrett and Jones and the Bucks would have some strong QB depth moving forward. Wouldn't have to play QBs as early and would let them develop more 

Hayze's picture

Huge is an understatement.

Besides being uber talented wherever he ends up playing (QB or WR), he is the kind of guy other elite players follow.

We land him, that puts us in excellent position for his teammate and 5 star safety Tarvarus McFadden as well as Devonte Peete out of St. Thomas Aquinas. Add in Sh'mar Kilby-Lane who we already lead for and thats as good of a Florida class as I can remember.

That's not even counting the impact that Gibson could have on a Jacques Patrick, a Jeffrey Holland or a Kevin Tolliver II (committed to LSU but has expressed interest in visiting OSU again, has already visited once).

So, in essence, I hope we land him very very very much!

InTressITrust's picture

Do not forget Jamel Dean already in the fold.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

Gray Box's picture
+1 HS
ChillitownBuck30's picture

Wow, I had no idea he could sling the rock like that.  Not recruiting him as a QB (as of now) would be ignorant.  Urban is the man!

“Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.”

+1 HS
Gray Box's picture

Gibson at the awards:

Gray Box's picture

Alex interviews Gibson who runs a 4.37 40yard dash:
Bucknuts 1 on 1 with Torrance Gibson:

Gray Box's picture

Yes OSU is recruiting Gibson hard:

+1 HS