Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

2023 TAILGATE FARE WEEK 2

+9 HS
osurox's picture
September 7, 2023 at 11:08am
38 Comments

Good Morning Dubbers! Continuing with our theme of the farewell tour, we are going out with a bang:

After a not-so-dominant win on the road against Indiana, we host the mighty Penguins of Youngstown State. While we share Mr. Sweatervest himself, I can't fathom Tressel rooting against either team, but rather, I can see him hoping for a good, clean, hard-fought game with 97 punts.  That being said, even though YSU will test our secondary more than last week, we should still come away with a 20+ point win

I was thinking of what to make, and it donned on me that I haven't shared a favorite fall recipe of ours, and given YSU as the opponent it just makes sense. 

Loaded Crock Pot Pierogies 

Ingredients:

• 1  package Kielbasa, sliced into 1/2" pieces
  • 4 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup onion, diced
  • 1 pint heavy whipping cream
  • 1 Tablespoon White Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 1 cup bacon, cooked & roughly chopped
  • 2 cups Muenster cheese, shredded 
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 16oz packages frozen pierogi (I use one package with potato and cheese and another with sauerkraut)

Directions:

• Spray crock pot with non-stick cooking spray (I use Pam).
  • In a saucepan melt the butter, and add bacon grease, then saute the onions until translucent.
  • Stir in the whipping cream and White Balsamic Vinegar, and add the bacon to mixture. Reduce heat to low, simmer 3-5 minutes.
  • Stir in 1 cup of shredded Muenster cheese and sour cream, and remove the pan from heat.
  • In the slow cooker add Kielbasa, then layer one package of the pierogis on top.
  • Spoon 1/2 of the onion/cheese mixture over the pierogi layer, and 1/2 of remaining shredded cheese.
  • Repeat layers beginning with second bag of pierogis.
  • Place lid on crock pot then cook on high 4 hours, stirring once to combine mixture.

Pro Tips:

• Add more sliced cheese, sour cream, scallions (if you want), and chopped bacon on top before putting the lid on, and repeat after stirring.
  • For heat, add some cayenne pepper (or whichever pepper you want) to the onion/cheese mixture, or a diced jalapeno to the slow cooker.
  • You can customize this even more by adding in some freshly grated garlic, some beef/chicken stock, Lowry's, mixing in some cabbage/sauerkraut, beer (not too much or it becomes soupy) etc..
  • Brown the Kielbasa in a pan before adding to the slow cooker for added flavor/texture.
  • If you want crispy pierogies, cook per the package and then deep fry in some oil for a bit before adding to the slow cooker (note, this won't need to cook for 4 hours anymore or they become mushy).

The Greatest Hit - Part 2

This week’s blast from the past comes to us from week 2 of the 2016 TGF, courtesy of Mrs. 3M

Mrs 3M’s Hurricane Delight

Ingredients:

• 2 Cups Bacardi light rum
  • 2 Cups Bacardi dark rum
  • 2 Cups passion fruit juice
  • 1 Cup orange juice
  • Half of a lime, juiced
  • 1 Cup grenadine

Directions:

Mix in a pitcher, chill, drink, repeat.

I hope everyone has a great NFL opening weekend - WHODEY & Go Bucks! 

Previous editions of Tailgate Fare

11W Community Tailgate Cookbook

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 38 Comments