Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

4th Quarter Clock Management Was the Greatest Mistake

-4 HS
armstroa's picture
January 2, 2023 at 3:28am
51 Comments

I did the math on how much time OSU left on the game clock by not milking the play clock while leading in the 4th.  I added up the time greater than 3 seconds left on the play clock when the ball was snapped and the game clock was running.  On OSU's third-to-last drive, starting at 10:14 with the score 38-27, OSU left 31 seconds of "extra" game clock.  On their penultimate drive, by the same reckoning, they left 84 "extra" seconds.  If Day instructed Stroud to milk the clock, UGA would have gotten the ball with back with 48 seconds left in the game and down three points.  Their last TD took 121 seconds.

I realize you can't assume certain things could have been different and everything else the same, but I think this shows that Day made a huge error in game and clock management by not running the clock down as much as possible while leading in the 4th.  Especially when you consider Day gave UGA an extra 84 seconds AFTER Knowles' killer one-play TD error.

I think the greatest blame lies on Day for this loss.  I get that OSU was moving the ball well (outside the RZ) and one more TD puts the game out of question, but it is so much easier to stand around and do nothing for an extra 115 seconds and very likely not have to score again.

Is this revisionist history looking for a scapegoat, or is this a legitimate indictment of Day as an HC?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 51 Comments