Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Why Did Nebraska Attempt the FG?

+3 HS
ziplock007's picture
November 7, 2021 at 12:13am
22 Comments

While OSU's kicker has been doing Yeoman's work, Nebraska's kickers can't say the same.

Connor Culp was their kicker, at least he claimed to be.  His sports-reference stats are a crossbreed of unsightly and repulsive.

• Missed THREE PATs
  • 6-12 for FGs

He was replaced by Chase Contreraz who was 1-1 on the season coming into the game and 2-3 prior to the kick.

Here's the scenario:

• Down by 6 against the class of the B1G at the OSU 13.
  • 4th and 4.
  • 9:50 left in the game.
  • Kick with the newly minted kicker (at the time, 2-3 on the season), or go for it with your bowl eligibility on the line?
    • Scott chose the former
    • Frost noted per 11W's recap
      • That was a chip shot and (Nebraska kicker Chase Contreraz) been kicking really well. I wish I had it back now obviously you second-guess yourself, but again to try to make it a three-point game that's the right football decision.

I didn't realize what an eyesore their kickers have been, sadly it took 7 games before they benched Culp.  Culp, the 2020 B1G Kicker of the Year and 2020 Lou Groza Award Finalist, has regressed.
Scott's comments that Contreraz was 'kicking really well' is coachspeak... he was 2-3 on the season (now 2-4) and spent half a season 2nd in the charts behind Culp.

Just the play previous, Martinez missed a wide open WR that gets the first and perhaps scores for a 1 point lead (assuming they make the PAT, lol).

• There's no guarantees they win if they go for it... but why put the game in your weakest position group's hands (errr, feet)?
    • I'm flummoxed and perplexed at that decision.
  • And, No, it wasn't the world's worst coaching decision.  But, I expected more aggression as their backs were against the wall (had to win out for a bowl).
  • Remember that agonizing loss to Oregon in week 2?
    • That's what Nebraska seems to experience weekly.

Champions: Sometimes they dominate, other times they Survive and Advance... a win either way.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 22 Comments