Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Some Game Film Observations on Clemson

+15 HS
Cincybuckeye's picture
December 22, 2016 at 1:06pm
48 Comments

While being bored at work can be viewed as a major annoyance to some, I've decided to utilize my boredom into something productive.

I recently watched Clemson's games against FSU and Pitt and have some observations.

-Overall, this Clemson team doesn't punt often at all. Their drives end in touchdowns or interceptions a large majority of the time. I view this as an encouraging and, at the same time, intimidating fact. The offense is legit.

-We've talked a lot on here about their WRs/TEs. From what I've seen, Mike Williams is a top ten pick in the draft. He high points the ball, runs clean routes, and is hard to bring down.

-Cain and Scott are big and quick and come out of nowhere to make big plays frequently.

-Leggett is like any good TE: super annoying for opposing teams (as a Bengals fan, I get flashbacks of Heath Miller in his prime and get pissed off just thinking about it).

-Ray-Ray McCloud is not that good. He's shifty but he reminds me a lot of freshman year Dontre. He doesn't impact the game often at all. 

-They love to run out routes and corner routes. There was an entire drive against Pitt where that's all that they ran all the way down the field for 6. Irritating, but effective.

-Watson is good. No need to discuss further.

-Gallman is OK. He's tends to run into the back of his line frequently, then try to bounce it outside. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I see our LBs controlling him to some success.

-Overall, they struggled to run very effectively against either team. Gives me hope for our defense in this matchup.

-Defensively, as mentioned in a previous 11W breakdown, they are incredibly aggressive. Both teams used that against them to varying degrees of success. Pitt bludgeoned them to death with the good ol' TE shovel pass.

-Their DTs are good. No need to discuss further.

-The corners are not physical. Tankersly (their #1 corner) sometimes even avoids contact. Getting it to a physical WR like Noah Brown is something that should be utilized.

-Speaking of Tankersly, I think he's a bit overrated. He's very handsy and isn't as solid as the media portrays him as (kinda like that Gerbil Peppers guy).

-LBs are good in run support, but get lost in coverage. James Conner and Dalvin Cook out of the backfield killed them.

-In terms of special teams: punter's good, kicking unit is good. Pretty solid. Nothing that really stands out.

Please share any additional thoughts. 9 more days.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 48 Comments