Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Urban Meyer Teams Following a Loss

+6 HS
BuckeyeInOrlando's picture
October 24, 2016 at 10:15am
17 Comments

As we all know, our beloved Buckeyes suffered a heartbreaking loss in "Happy Valley" this past Saturday. Many of us immediately began to say things such as: "Urban Meyer teams are better after a loss," myself included. I decided to do a little research to see just how good his teams are following losses. I created a spreadsheet to see what I could make of the data. The Buckeyes are definitely at a crossroads, as Eric just pointed out.

We're all aware of the National Championships won by Urban's teams in 2006, 2008, and 2014, all after losing a game. Here's what else I found.

Saturday's loss was only the 28th in Urban's career. He's only lost back to back games 6 times in his career, including the two game skid to close out the 2013 season at Ohio State. In October 2010, Urban's final season at Florida, the Gators lost 3 straight games. This is the only 3 game losing streak in Urban's career.

8 times in his career, Urban has followed a loss with a win streak of 8 or more wins.

8 times in his career, Urban has not lost again following a loss.

At Bowling Green, Urban's win streaks following a loss averaged 2.3 games. At Utah, Urban's win streaks following a loss averaged 9.2 games. At Florida, Urban's win streaks following a loss averaged 1.6 games. At Ohio State, Urban's win streaks following a loss have averaged 11.2 games thus far.

We're all also well aware of Urban's lifestyle changes since coming to Ohio State that seem to have him even better prepared for these situations.

As I dug a little deeper, I found something else. Urban has only had 6 seasons where his teams lost more than one regular season game. In 5 of those 6 multiple loss regular seasons, however, his teams have lost at least 3 games.

Urban's career win streak average following a loss is 5.2 games. 

Urban's career win streak average following a loss is 6.4 games if the next game is won.

Urban's career win streak average following a loss is 10 games if the next two games are won. The next game or two could tell us a lot, it seems... nothing like Northwestern to hopefully cure what ails you.

Check out the spreadsheet, make your own conclusions. I just wanted to look at it for fun to see how great Urban has truly been. The sky isn't falling. Have faith in our amazing leader.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments