Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Evolution of the Offense (WR/QB) in 2-3 Years

0 HS
BGSUBucksFan's picture
January 27, 2016 at 2:17pm
48 Comments

In light of recent discussions about #Zone6 members and recruits, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the evolution of the WR under Urban Meyer, which might hint at an evolving offense for the future.  My personal feeling (mainly by looking at the roster and recruits coming in) is that we are going to be seeing an evolving offense with less QB run, less H-back sweeps/wildcat/etc., and more of a traditional passing game in the next few years.  I think Meyer is finding it harder and harder to get his smaller H-back guys the ball in space as defenses evolve, which is why I think his approach to recruiting those guys is changing.

Let's take a look at his WR recruits/top targets since he's been here:

Class Name Height
2013 Jalin Marshall 6'0"
2013 Dontre Wilson 5'10"
2013 James Clark 5'10"
2013 Corey Smith 5'11"
2014 Curtis Samuel 6'0"
2014 Johnnie Dixon 5'10"
2014 Parris Campbell 6'0"
2014 Noah Brown 6'2"
2014 Terry McLaurin 6'0"
2015 Torrance Gibson 6'4"
2015 K.J. Hill 6'0"
2016 Austin Mack 6'2"
2016 Binjimen Victor 6'4"
2016 Demario McCall 5'9"
2016 Kierre Hawkins 6'4"
2017 Donovan Peoples-Jones 6'2"
2017 Trevon Grimes 6'3"
2017 Jaylen Harris 6'5"

In case it's hard to see what's going on here, here's the average height by class:

Class Avg Height
2013 70.75"
2014 72"
2015 74"
2016 73.75"
2017 75.3"

And I would argue 2016's numbers are skewed by McCall, who is an Ohio guy that you just can't say no to.  I'm not saying we said no to Bruce because he was small, but it may have made the decision a little easier on Urban and Co. if they truly are aiming at an evolving offense for the future (and with McCall already in the fold).

For the most part, the way Ohio State has used the H-back/slot position under Meyer has been underwhelming.  Just do an 11W search on "h back" and you'll find countless unmet expectations.  Outside of Jalin's monster game against Indiana, I can't think of any example where the position really took over games the way it did with Percy Harvin at Florida.  Even Meyer's Florida H-backs post-Percy were underwhelming.  

Another indication of evolution is a look at the QB depth chart behind JT.  Joe Burrow, Dwayne Haskins, and Danny Clark don't exactly scream dual-threat QB, and maybe that's on purpose.  Maybe Urban is a little tired of seeing his QBs take a beating on all the designed QB runs (I know I am).  It's more a matter of "when" and "how bad" than "if" the QB is going to get injured during the season.  What better way to stop that from happening than to evolve your offense into one that doesn't rely on the QB run?  I'm sure we won't see the death of it, as I do think Urban likes the numbers advantage, but he might prefer it to be an element of surprise rather than a staple.

Perhaps this is all a pipe dream of mine and Urban is going to try and run the same offense with different players, but I sure hope not.  Michael Thomas was vastly underutilized this past season and it's a damn shame.  Give it a couple years, but I have a feeling change is on the way. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 48 Comments