Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

What is it about Ohio State and play calling?

0 HS
D. Anthony's picture
November 22, 2015 at 6:13am
11 Comments

Back in the days when Tressel was dominating the BIG, it was still a little frustrating to watch a team with superior offensive talent, refuse to really open up the offense and use that talent in a more dynamic way. Playing very cautious and doing just enough to get past weaker teams was winning us games, but many of us wondered how we'd keep getting star recruits who could see they'd play in a conservative offense (most of the time) vs a high flying aggressive/fun style. 

When Urban came here I was trilled and thought those days were over. He's the best coach in college ball and was a known risk taker with an open offense who, even with an inaccurate passer like Tebow, would still run a balanced offensive, and let him air it out and "force the opposing defense to defend the entire field". Somehow as the talent has gotten better and deeper with his recruiting classes, the offense has gone thru stretches (even last season) where we really button it up and play not to lose on offense. I'm shocked as we all are at the play calling. It was way more of a risk to not run a "2nd half, wear'em down back" 2 times in the 2nd half AND not call more passing plays, especially when we had the wind at our back and had proof that Braxton could get wide open. I'm stunned that this offense with this talent did less than the Fickell lead team at Illinois a few years ago. Zeke had every right to say those things that many of us felt and maybe it should have stayed in house, but it probably has just as good of chance as serving as a wake up call as it does causing an implosion heading into The Game. Going forward next year and forever, I never want to see another Buckeye team playing (or coaching) afraid to lose. Here's to keeping the opposing D on it's heels and making the opposing team defend the entire field, as was our motto, weather and circumstances be damned! Go Bucks!!!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 11 Comments