Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

How far can Urban's coaching tree spread out this year?

0 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture
November 15, 2015 at 7:40am
24 Comments

Looking at some of the open jobs around the power five conferences, it's not crazy to think that all of those jobs could be filled by current or former coaches that worked under Urban Meyer.

1. Tom Herman- Obviously only a year into this stint at Houston, he's got a big time recruiting class coming in, so I don't think he takes off just yet, but in 3 years I don't think he's still the head man at Houston...

2. Everett Withers- Again, he's just starting the journey at JM, but he's got the dukes at 8-2.  With another season or 2 of successful football he could find himself moving up the ranks quickly

3. Luke Fickell- I know Ficks is a born and bread OSU guy, his entire career he's been with the Buckeyes, and God love him, he's taken some legit abuse on this forum, but I have no doubt in my mind there are some big time programs looking at him as their next head coach.  IMO he's the most likely candidate to take over at Virginia Tech, and I see that as a perfect place for him to land, however, I could see him interviewing for the USC job and being a dark horse to get it.

4. Ed Warinner- I'm not sure how it didn't happen this season, but Warinner is as legit a football coach as their ever has been.  IMO even though he's never had a head coaching job, he's on the radars of all of the major open spots across the country.   I think the powers that be in Miami are going to want a no-nonsense guy who knows the value of recruiting guys that can win you the battle in the trenches.  I think Warinner would be a solid win for the U.

5. Chris Ash- What a welcome surprise Chris Ash has been.  I don't think you could look at the Buckeyes secondary and not drool over the job this guy has done with the talent provided.  I think the DB's at tOSU are the best tackling DBs, hardest hitting, and best in man coverage in the country.  The turn around that he has made with that group from '12 to now is nothing short of miraculous.  Ash for sure should be in line for one of the major jobs, I think USC or Miami would be lucky to have him.

So in my opinion here are the top five job openings in D-1a football for next year:

1. USC
2. Miami
3. Virginia Tech
4. South Carolina
5. Minnesota Maryland (didn't realize Minnesota's interim coach got it permanently)

And matching those jobs to the coaches listed:

1. USC- Tom Herman
2. Miami- Ed Warinner
3. Virginia Tech- Luke Fickell
4. South Carolina- Chris Ash
5. Maryland- Everett Withers

I know it's obviously not likely, but I think all of those names, matched up with those jobs are great hires. 

Urban Meyer is an amazing recruiter, not just for talent on the field, but talent on the sidelines and in the box.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 24 Comments