Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Top 100 Ohio State Players: No. 50

Matt Gutridge's picture
July 19, 2015 at 10:26pm
14 Comments

There are 50 days that separate us from Ohio State's march to Blacksburg. To help pass the time until the Buckeyes put the Sandman to sleep I will countdown Ohio State's top 100 players according to the rubric* listed at the bottom of this article.

Beanie Wells is the ultimate Wolverine killer. He went 3-0 against That Team and ran for a school-record 222 yards against them in 2007.

Beanie Wells is the ultimate Wolverine killer. He went 3-0 against That Team and ran for a school-record 222 yards against them in 2007.

NO. 50 CHRIS "BEANIE" WELLS, RB (2006-08)
Born:
 1988 (Akron)
High School: Akron Garfield

OHIO STATE CAREER

• The Buckeyes were 33-6 with Wells on the team.
  • 2006 Big Ten Title.
  • 2007 Big Ten Title.
  • 2008 Big Ten Title.
  • 2006 Defeated No. 2 Texas 24-7 in Austin.
  • Went 3-0 against That Team.

HONORS

• 2007 Team MVP.
  • 2008 Team MVP.
  • 2007 All-Big Ten.

NFL DRAFT
Round 1 to the Arizona Cardinals with the 31st pick of the 2009 draft.

Beanie's 1,609 rushing yards in 2007 ranks fifth all-time at Ohio State for a single season.

Beanie's 1,609 rushing yards in 2007 ranks fifth all-time at Ohio State for a single season.

Beanie Wells' Ohio State career per The Ohio State Team Guide:

Christopher "Beanie" Wells came out of high school as a highly ranked running back. Beanie's career at Ohio State did not disappoint.

As a freshman Beanie rushed for 576 yards (5.5 ypc) and seven touchdowns. His most memorable carry of that season was his 52 yard touchdown on a late Saturday in November.

In 2007 Beanie had the backfield all to himself and rushed for 1,609 yards (5.9 ypc) and 15 touchdowns. When playing That Team Beanie saved his best for last. Wells gained 222 yards rushing and two touchdowns against the Wolverines. That total is more than any other Ohio State running back in The Game.

2008 was Beanie's last season with Ohio State. Great expectations were placed on Wells going into the season, but a foot injury against Youngstown State placed him on the sidelines for three games. Beanie finished the season with 1,197 yards (5.8 ypc) and 8 touchdowns.

Again Beanie created nightmares for That Team. He rushed for 134 yards (including a 59 yard touchdown) on 15 carries as the Buckeyes won 42-7. 

Beanie the Wolverine Slayer:

Wells rushed for 412 yards (7.0 ypc) and four touchdowns in the three games he played against That Team.

Beanie Wells enters the 2009 NFL Draft per ohiostatebuckeyes.com:

“There are a lot of things I know I will miss: just being in the locker room, spending time with my teammates, playing in the Michigan game, just all the aspects of being at Ohio State that make it such a special place. But in the best interest of my family, it’s time to move on and take a chance at fulfilling my lifetime dream of playing in the NFL.

“I will always appreciate everything Ohio State has done in helping me grow up and become a man, and I will always be a Buckeye.”

BEANIE'S POINTS
CATEGORY POINTS
HEISMAN  
NO. RETIRED / HONORED  
BIG TEN MVP  
TEAM MVP 10
ALL-AMERICAN  
CAPTAIN  
1ST ROUND NFL DRAFT PICK 4
ALL-BIG TEN 3
ACADEMIC ALL-AMERICAN  
NFL DRAFT PICK  
ACADEMIC ALL-BIG TEN 2
LETTER 0.75

TOTAL 19.75

For more information on other players who wore No. 28 go here.

Sources- The Ohio State Team Guideohiostatebuckeyes.com

THE RUBRIC
CATEGORY POINTS
HEISMAN 8
NO. RETIRED / HONORED 8
BIG TEN MVP 6
TEAM MVP 5
ALL-AMERICAN 4
CAPTAIN 4
1ST ROUND NFL DRAFT PICK 4
ALL-BIG TEN  3
ACADEMIC ALL-AMERICAN 3
NFL DRAFT PICK 2
ACADEMIC ALL-BIG TEN 1
LETTER 0.75

ALL PLAYERS COVERED TO DATE

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments