Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

This Date In Gray Box History: 6-21

Matt Gutridge's picture
June 21, 2015 at 2:30pm
21 Comments

This series will highlight the commitment anniversary date of Ohio State players. I have commitment dates from 2003-2015.

Note: I don't have all of the commitment dates for all of the players from those years, but I'm working on it. 

ON JUNE 21, 2013 STEPHEN COLLIER COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE.

Stephen Collier

Stephen Collier attempting a pass during the 2015 Spring Game.

Excerpts from Jeremy Birmingham's article announcing Collier's commitment: 

Last Saturday, Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer and Lee County High School (Leesburg, Ga.) quarterback Stephen Collier had a conversation that Collier had been waiting on for some time. While the call didn't answer all his questions, it gave Collier a timeline for when he might hear back from Ohio State. 

"He told me that I was their guy," Collier toldEleven Warriors. "(Meyer) said that he needed to sit down and talk again with the coaching staff and Coach Herman after Father's Day because he'd been fundraising since all the stuff happened on (last) Friday night."

[...]

"Coach Herman called me a little bit after the camp tonight, and he said 'let's cut to the chase,'" Collier told Eleven Warriors. "He asked me if I would like a scholarship offer from Ohio State and I said yes. So, as of right now, I'm committed to Ohio State. My family and I are so grateful and excited. I've been holding back tears."

With that offer, and that call back today, Collier became Ohio State's 2014 quarterback and it's something he could not be more excited about. 

[...]

"I'm going to get to work on getting the best guys in our class," he said. "I've already been talking to a lot the guys and getting to know the other commits. Next week is The Opening and that's a big opportunity for being out there with that many great people."

Ohio State fans have been waiting for months to find out who would be the quarterback in their 2014 recruiting class and today you met him.

Say hello to Stephen Collier.

Stephen Collier

Stephen Collier enters the 2015 season as a red-shirt freshman.

Excerpts from Stephen Collier's biography in the 2014 Team Guide:

Overview: Stephen Collier enrolled in classes at Ohio State in January 2014 ... in May 2014 he was one of 41 honors graduates of Lee County High School, graduating with distinction for having a grade point average above 3.90 and with at least six honors courses on his resume ... as a football player, Collier was rated the No. 12 dual threat quarterback in the nation by 247Sports as a senior ... he passed for more than 4,000 yards, rushed for 1,500 yards and had 78 touchdowns (passing and rushing) at Lee County High School for coach Dean Fabrizio ... he accounted for a Lee County school-record 44 touchdowns in 2013 to lead his team to a 10-2 record, the Region 1-AAAAA title and a berth in the Georgia state playoffs 

Sources- Jeremy Birmingham and The 2014 Ohio State Team Guide

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments