Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Top 100 Ohio State Players: No. 88

Matt Gutridge's picture
June 11, 2015 at 4:13pm
12 Comments

There are 88 days that separate us from Ohio State's march to Blacksburg. To help pass the time until the Buckeyes put the Sandman to sleep I will countdown Ohio State's top 100 players according to the rubric* listed at the bottom of this article.

Stier

Mark Stier was captain and team MVP of the 1968 National Championship team.

NO. 88 MARK STIER, LB (1966-1968)
High School:
 Louisville, Ohio

OHIO STATE CAREER

• The Buckeyes were 20-8 with Stier on the team.
  • Defeated USC 27-16 in the 1969 Rose Bowl.
  • Stier was 2-1 against That Team.

HONORS

• 1968 National Champion.
  • 1968 Big Ten Title
  • 1968 Team MVP
  • 1968 Captain
  • 1968 Academic All-American
  • 1968 Academic All-Big Ten
  • 1966 Academic All-Big Ten

NFL DRAFT
Not selected in the 1969 NFL Draft.

Mark Stier did a question and answer with Rob Oller of the Columbus Dispatch in October of 2014: 

Mark Stier, 67, was one of the Buckeyes who Woody Hayes had bless the pre-game meals during the 1968 national-championship season. The former linebacker and co-captain is still gracing the Columbus community as an associate pastor at Westerville Christian Church.

Question: Can we begin with your best Woody story?

Answer: I tell people that I’ve never met anybody who had two very distinct personalities. It was almost Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. He was so much of a tyrant on the field, a borderline out-of-control type guy. Then he’d come in, take a shower after practice, come out in a sport coat and tie and be an absolute different person. On the field, every other word was a swear word. Outside, he never swore. On the field he would intensely be in your face. Outside, he was loving and caring, asking, "How’s your mom. How is that and that." It’s almost like there were two Woodys. One went into his own personal locker room and came out (fiery) while the other one stayed in there and hid. Then the other would come out and have dinner with us. It was a complete 180, and would be even more if you could make it that. Usually, people are mostly the same all the time, but he was just two ends of the extremes.

Q: What happened after you left Ohio State?

A: Right out of school, I graduated on Friday, got married on Saturday to my wife (Pat) of almost 46 years now, and started my first job on Monday, teaching at Upper Arlington and coaching as a grad assistant at Ohio State. I stayed in coaching and teaching for several years, then in late 1974 went to Worthington Industries. I was hired by John H. McConnell, who was hiring a lot of athletes back then. I stayed with them 27 years, moved all around the country. Ended up in Chicago for 14 years. I had a wonderful career. Through that time I had three children, who now are all grown and married. I have five grandkids. I also kept my fingers in coaching. I coached my kids when they were in pee-wee football and basketball.

Q: What brought you back to Columbus?

A: I moved back with Worthington Industries from 1997 to 2001, at which point I began going to seminary school. Once I left Worthington Industries, I finished my work (at Cincinnati Christian University) and was hired at Westerville Christian Church. I’ve been there ever since.

STIER'S POINTS
CATEGORY POINTS
HEISMAN  
NO. RETIRED / HONORED  
BIG TEN MVP  
TEAM MVP 5
ALL-AMERICAN  
CAPTAIN 4
1ST ROUND NFL DRAFT PICK  
ALL-BIG TEN  
ACADEMIC ALL-AMERICAN 3
NFL DRAFT PICK  
ACADEMIC ALL-BIG TEN 2
LETTER 0.75

TOTAL 14.75

For more information on Stier and other players who wore No. 54 go here.

Sources- The Ohio State Team Guide and Rob Oller of The Columbus Dispatch

THE RUBRIC
CATEGORY POINTS
HEISMAN 8
NO. RETIRED / HONORED 8
BIG TEN MVP 6
TEAM MVP 5
ALL-AMERICAN 4
CAPTAIN 4
1ST ROUND NFL DRAFT PICK 4
ALL-BIG TEN 3
ACADEMIC ALL-AMERICAN 3
NFL DRAFT PICK 2
ACADEMIC ALL-BIG TEN 1
LETTER 0.25 PER YEAR

ALL PLAYERS COVERED TO DATE

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 12 Comments