Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Bosa Draft Decision Affected by His Father?

0 HS
buck-I.8's picture
June 11, 2015 at 3:57pm
44 Comments

Preface: In the summer I work in landscaping and as such, have A LOT of time to think. Here's a theory I was tossing around. Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, I've been far less active on the boards as I had in the past.

As we all know, in the late 80's, John Bosa was picked in the first round the of NFL draft by the Dolphins, after an All-American season at defensive end, where he won team (Boston College) awards for best defensive player and rookie of the year. However, in a few years, injuries had derailed his career and he was forced into a very premature retirement. Because of this, John Bosa seems like another run-of-the-mill NFL bust who was picked higher than his potential, but those who are familiar with the actual story know that he was brimming with potential that he never had the chance to fulfill due to unfortunate injuries.

Fast forward to the present: John's son Joe will be eligible as a true junior for the NFL draft after this season, and he is almost guaranteed to go in the first 10 picks if not number 1 overall. His career at Ohio State has been similar, although even more decorated, to his father's. The parallels are striking, but Joe has something John didn't: advice from a family member that has been through the process before.

As referenced in the article at the end of this post, it is clear that John is very protective of his son. It stands to reason that when it comes time for Joe to choose whether or not to declare for the draft at the end of this season, his father is the loudest voice of persuasion for him. My theory is this: John's sudden fall from the league due to injury is an essential argument for acquiring a degree before leaving for the draft. Nothing can more properly illustrate how fickle the livelihood of a professional athlete. Based on his own experiences, I believe that John will be pushing Joe to stay a fourth year with the Buckeyes and become one of the most decorated defensive players to ever take the field in Columbus. It no doubt doesn't hurt that should he stay, he has the chance to play with his brother in 2016, should Nick choose OSU.

Discuss.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000356455/article/dad-tells-ohio-state-star-joey-bosa-to-stop-doing-back-flips

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 44 Comments