Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Top 100 Ohio State Players: No. 93

Matt Gutridge's picture
June 7, 2015 at 5:57pm
14 Comments

There are 93 days that separate us from Ohio State's march to Blacksburg. To help pass the time until the Buckeyes put the Sandman to sleep I will countdown Ohio State's top 100 players according to the rubric* listed at the bottom of this article.

Kurt Schumacher

Schumacher was voted All-Big Ten twice.

No. 93 Kurt Schumacher, OT (1972-74)
Born:
 1952 (Cleveland)
High School: Lorain

OHIO STATE CAREER

• The Buckeyes went 29-4-1 with Schumacher on the team.
  • Won 3 Big Ten Championships.
  • Defeated USC 42-21 in the 1974 Rose Bowl.
  • Went 2-0-1 against That Team.

HONORS

• 1974 All-American.
  • 1974 All-Big Ten.
  • 1973 All-Big Ten.

NFL DRAFT
Round 1 to the New Orleans Saints with the 12th pick of the 1975 draft.

Just like his neck roll and gray sleeves, Schumacher is old school.

Just like his neck roll and gray sleeves, Schumacher is old school. 

Kurt Schumacher's reaction to Jim Tressel's resignation by Ken Bradley of thesportingnews.com (May, 2011):

“I sent (Jim Tressel) an e-mail a few weeks ago -- just encouragement -- told him to hang tough and don’t let this be the last thing that people remember you for at Ohio State and I guess that’s in part kind of where I am … I feel very bad for him in that, I played for Coach (Woody) Hayes and 35 years later when I talk to people and they ask where I played, I tell them Ohio State and they say, ‘Oh yeah, you played for Woody? What about when he punched that player?’ We remember people for the last thing they do. It’s not right. But that doesn’t mean that’s not what we do. Woody deserved much more than that and Jim deserves much more than that for the quality of program he’s run, the way he’s carried himself and, by in large, the way the kids have represented the university.

“The other thing, the kids who caused this are getting off way too easy. They are old enough to know what they did was wrong. (Terrelle) Pryor, if I remember correctly, was reported as having tweeted ‘I paid for my tats’. I don’t know what should be done or can be done, but they’re getting off way too easy.

“I’ll fess up, I’m old school as it relates to the whole discipline thing. If the kids -- and I’m not just talking about the five kids from Ohio State -- if the kids knew the punishment for breaking the rules was severe, I would suggest to you that fewer kids would break the rules.”

KURT SCHUMACHER'S POINTS
CATEGORY POINTS
HEISMAN  
NO. RETIRED / HONORED  
BIG TEN MVP  
TEAM MVP  
ALL-AMERICAN 4
CAPTAIN  
1ST ROUND NFL DRAFT PICK 4
ALL-BIG TEN 6
ACADEMIC ALL-AMERICAN  
NFL DRAFT PICK  
ACADEMIC ALL-BIG TEN  
LETTER 0.75

TOTAL 14.75

For more information on other players who wore No. 72 go here.

Sources- The Ohio State Team GuideThe Sporting News and Wikipedia

THE RUBRIC
CATEGORY POINTS
HEISMAN 8
NO. RETIRED / HONORED 8
BIG TEN MVP 6
TEAM MVP 5
ALL-AMERICAN 4
CAPTAIN 4
1ST ROUND NFL DRAFT PICK 4
ALL-BIG TEN 3
ACADEMIC ALL-AMERICAN 3
NFL DRAFT PICK 2
ACADEMIC ALL-BIG TEN 1
LETTER 0.25 PER YEAR

ALL PLAYERS COVERED TO DATE

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments