Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

How the Top 10 ranks in Total Defense, Offense and where OSU stands...

0 HS
Urbz4President's picture
November 12, 2014 at 1:25pm
23 Comments

Ok, so today I have found myself blessed with a complete, full blown "do nothing" off day. Yes, the bathrobe is on, Season Two of The Sopranos is playing in the background and, because its November and our Buckeyes are finally a top 10 team, my mind is awash in National Championship possibilities. I am admittedly a harsh critic of our team. I have never been one of these #FireEVERYONE people after we've had a bad game or even worse, a loss. 

But the way we've been playing and as I watch other teams around the country, I really think we have a solid shot at beating just about anyone. Our offense is glaringly on fire, but I re-watched the MSU game and I was really impressed with our defense as well. 

Defenses win championships, amirite? So I decided to take a gander at where we stack up with the rest of the Top 10 and more importantly, the Top 4:

1. Mississippi State: 89th

2. Oregon: 104th

3. Florida State: 49th

4. TCU: 50th

5. Alabama: 5th

6. Arizona State: 63rd

7. Baylor: 15th

8. Ohio State: 17th

9. Auburn: 58th

10. Ole Miss: 9th

(Source: http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22/p1)

By the numbers, we are much better than the current top four. In a street fight, I think we could put a damper on some of these potent offenses that the top ranked teams field. Lights out? Probably not. But could we force a few punts so that our offense could get on the field and do some body work? Oh hell yeah. 

Which brought me to my next question. Just how good is our offense? Well, lets take a look again at the Top 10 teams and where they are ranked in Total Offense.

1. Mississippi State: 6th

2. Oregon: 5th

3. Florida State: 37th

4: TCU: 3rd

5. Alabama: 19th

6: Arizona State: 25th

7. Baylor: 1st

8. Ohio State: 10th

9. Auburn: 13th

10. Ole Miss: 39th

(Source: http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21)

Clearly, the top 10 is more loaded in terms of offense than defense. But we are one of only 3 teams in the top ten (others being Baylor and Alabama) that have both a Top 20 defense and offense. 

We are a balanced, championship quality team that is doing nothing but improving with each game. It isn't a fluke that we are ranked in the Top 10. It is deserving. Whether or not we end up in the Playoff, I'm not sure. Beyond the fact that we need to mercilessly eviscerate our remaining opponents, I think it is really in the hands of the teams ahead of us. 

But know this: should we find ourselves in the Playoffs in January, I truly believe we are ready for whatever and whomever we should face. As Jay-Z says, "Numbers don't lie, check the scoreboard."

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments