Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Cover 4 hacks

0 HS
BuckeyeBred's picture
September 28, 2014 at 4:18pm
13 Comments

As we looked at the few rough spots in an otherwise great game against UC where we dominated on offense and really only shot ourselves in the foot during the few stalled drives, I can help but think we are still striving to get our D in check.

It seems to me that one of the main reasons for the big plays we gave up is because we were a little too predictable with the cover 4 system. Like any game, if the response of the opponent is predictable, then moves can be made to began capitalizing on the weaknesses of the gambit of the other player. I'm not sure how many times the great CFB defenses that play Cover 4 stick to the vanilla concept and/or deviate, but I think we could benefit from mixing up our play calls just a little - especially during longer and more critical down and distances.  In our case, UC was often running Cover 4 breaker routes that force the D into spots that exposed us to the big play. Would love to see a few mix-ups of Cover 3 and Cover 2 man under to keep the opposing OC guessing about what's next and perhaps have some of these massive plays go instead for reasonable gains with safety help over top.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments