Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

First night game at the shoe... how to prepare?

E2Brutus's picture
September 3, 2014 at 7:52pm
43 Comments

So I'll be attending my first night game at the shoe this weekend. I'm headed up with a fwe friends (4 for the good guys and 2 for tech).

So my question is how should we properly prepare? We're going to be tailgating a bit but would like to hit high street for awhile. Never had this much time before a game so it may be important to pace our selves but any tips, tricks, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and Go Bucks!

otrain2416's picture

This should sum it up for ya 

+9 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Yep.  One could on about restaurants, skull session, parking...but this pretty much sums it up.  At least my four years on game-day.  

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

+2 HS
E2Brutus's picture

Yep the schedule is pretty full of drinking.

+2 HS
brband64's picture
+4 HS
nburns18's picture

Bar crawl it. Little Bar, Library, Out-r-inn, Too's, O patio, varsity club. consume as much alcohol as possible 

"You win with people." -Woody Hayes

+3 HS
KBonay's picture

Shots! Preferably at Bernie's (1896 N.High St)

+5 HS
LoudBuckeyeGirl's picture

First, you must relive your college days. Perhaps stroll across the Oval, take in the renovations at the Libray or Ohio Union, see Mirror Lake, although perhaps it is emptied at the moment. This is the pacing yourself part.  Then revisit your misspent youth.  Visit the bars you loved.  Sadly, for an old fart like me, cry at the sadness of South Campus Gateway, former location of dollar gyros and $10 buckets at Papa Joes. Luckily, there is still the Bier Stube.  Last time I was there a librarian that I hadn't seen in 20 years, who was drinking at lunch, remembered me.   While you are in the area, remember that all visitors love Eddie George's.  Especially the men's bathroom.  Head up to The Out-R-Inn. On the way, power up with a starbucks quad shooter.  Perhaps eat the pizza of you youth. For me, Donatos. Skip BW3 because it hasn't been the same since they stopped serving Weck. Now you are in prime territory.  Walk down Lane Ave/woody Hayes drive to the tailgates.  The Blackwell hotel has a bar and nice bathrooms if you need a break.  Wedge your way into the Varsity Club. If you prefer, have Tommy's pizza instead of Donatos. You are now drunk enough to shop.  Besides the street vendors, there are Conrad's and College Traditions. You will never really regret drunk shopping. Either you get goos stuff or you have a good story.  Most people would tell you to hit the Skull Session.  I prefer to stay outside and watch the players walk from the Blackwell to St. John for the skull session. I also like walking between the old hockey arena and French Field House on my way to the game.  Always yell "OH" in the tunnel and/or reply appropriately.  This is ver important.  Always be in your seat in plenty of time to watch TBDBITL ramp entrance. Nothing finer.  More goosebumps than Script Ohio for me.  Now you are ready.  

Go Bucks!

Loud Buckeye Girl

OSU '84 '90

+11 HS
E2Brutus's picture

Thanks for the great insight buckeyegirl. Truly sounds like a great day you've planned. In my college years things were not as well planned as I'd like Saturday to be.

BuckeyeCrusdader's picture

Wow, great plan. I love Ohio State! (Except the new President)

UrbanBuckeye's picture

I'm a current student and can happily say that Mirror Lake looks great! Back to its prime.

In Urban We Trust!

+1 HS
logamaniac's picture

planning a trajectory is a must.  where are you coming from?  are you staying with someone or do you live here?  what are the age ranges?  what are you looking for foodquality wise? 

+1 HS
E2Brutus's picture

Coming from Nashville. Staying at a hotel on High St. We are all between 29 and 33. Looking good food and good drinks. Also kind of wondering what are some new things to do on game days since I was on campus all the way back in 2007.

logamaniac's picture

how far on High St?  is it located in the arena district?  if so a nice crawl to campus is a must, this means stops at press/mikes/ and yes union and any bar on the way to campus.  I've made that trek more times than id like to recount and its always been great when you're with a group of friends.  just don't overdo it, get a drink or a shot and go - theres a lot of stops to be had.  as far as food id avoid anything too filling as you don't want to have to take a dump during the game or in one of the portable toilets with that many drunks around its going to be gross.  maybe just nosh on small bites randomly, you know your digestion better than I my friend.

id avoid most of the "college bars" south of chit and spend most of your time at Out-r-Inn, little bar, and Varsity Club.  

With a little tailgating and going to the game that should make for an experience.

Oh and if i was right and you're in the arena id start the trek to campus between 5-5:30 to give you enough time to make the stops and "rest up" before heading into the game. 

Just remember that cash is king, be safe, and GO BUCKS

+1 HS
bucks4nuts's picture

Pace pace pace 

"To The House"

+2 HS
BroJim's picture

I dont understand getting drunk for Buckeye games.

I season my simple food with hunger

+4 HS
AirForceNUT's picture

I don't understand you..

+12 HS
BroJim's picture

Wowzers, didnt see something like that coming.

I season my simple food with hunger

-1 HS
AirForceNUT's picture

I'm just joking man lol I was going to use italics but that doesn't seem to work on my phone.

+2 HS

Done properly, you won't be drunk.  Pacing and taking in the whole experience is the purpose. Having a drink or few spread over hours won't have you puking in the port-o-pots pregame (witnessed before the game v Texas).  

Go Bucks!

Loud Buckeye Girl

OSU '84 '90

+2 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

For me, on many Ohio State Football Night Games, a B.A.C. Between .16 and .24 is optimal.

I've had lower before, and been alright.  I've had higher before and forgot about half the plays I had watched, by the next morning.

+2 HS
FunZone's picture

I feel you, BroJim. If I'm spending all week looking forward to a game, I typically like to be aware of my surroundings during said game.

I asked Braxton how his knee was before halftime at Berkeley and he said, "What up, man."

+1 HS
SHAKENBAKE68's picture

Not to get too technical....but according to chemistry, alcohol is a solution!

Go Bucks!!

There is no such thing as "friendly fire"..

+6 HS
bedheadjc's picture

Take your sunglasses off?

+3 HS
KBonay's picture

+1 for the Buckeye Heisenberg

+1 HS
Fatpants's picture

Alcohol and plenty of caffeine. Don't want to get too mellow. 

Make sure you smuggle some liquor in to the game. Don't want to lose your buzz. 

+3 HS
THE's picture

Smoke some banana peels. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+2 HS
E2Brutus's picture

I prefer mine frozen and on a stick.

DEF D's picture

Start partying tomorrow and stay up til after browns W on Sunday.

Oyster's picture

They could be awake for months!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Show the fans from VT how tailgating is supposed to be done including the big W at the end of the night

+1 HS
RBuck's picture

Hint: Don't start drinking until 9:00 a.m.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

+1 HS
sjOH1OSt's picture

Drop the Hokies off at High Street and head down to the tailgates...

"Baby Godfather"

+1 HS
sjOH1OSt's picture

Start @ Hang Over Easy on 12th and Neil Avenue. (8/9/10 am)

Hit high street (little bar) for pre tailgate booze and some noon football games. (12p-3p)

Tailgate your @sses off! 3:30p-

Supplies:  Red solo cup, a flask for the game, caffeine (redbull, coffee, 5 hour energy, etc), and BuckeyeNation.  Oh, and wear your Scarlet!

"Baby Godfather"

+2 HS
Grande Gustavo's picture

Start drinking at 10 am when you wake up. Don't stop, ever again. Welcome to buckeye nation. 

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check. 

Haubtimus Prime's picture

1. Shotgun beer.

2. Shout "O-H..."

3. Make a Brady Hoke joke

Repeat until kickoff. 

+1 HS
Buckeye0905's picture

I'll give you several options.

- Wake up early for breakfast and check out Hangover Easy on Neil or Nancy's on North High. Can't go wrong with either.

- Pay a visit to the Ohio Union, Thompson Library, and/or Mirror Lake

-If you're looking to crawl, go in this order: Bier Stube, Eddie's, Mama's Pasta & Brew, Too's, Chumley's, Out-R-Inn, Little Bar, Thirsty Scholar, and then Varsity Club. 

-If you have some free time on Friday night (depending on when you're staying), visit Seventh Son Brewing, Elevator Brewing, and North High Brewing. I love the atmosphere at each place. 

+1 HS

My favorite breakfast is Katalina's - http://www.katalinascolumbus.com/  Get the Sweet and Spicy Bacon.  There will be a line if you don't get there relatively early. 

Go Bucks!

Loud Buckeye Girl

OSU '84 '90

oversizedrooster's picture

if you are asking me how to prepare for this game, i would say get a keg, do a few kegs stands, get black out drunk and see what happens! have to celebrate the football season somehow!

i like roosters