Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Shazier Dominating

rdubs's picture
August 16, 2014 at 8:20pm
51 Comments

Not that it is surprising, but Shazier is dominating this week in preseason.  I haven't found a video to embed, but he had a nice interception and some other good plays.

BassDropper's picture

had a total of 8 tackles in the first quarter 

DIRECTIONER

+12 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

defensive rookie of the year

+6 HS
rdubs's picture
+7 HS
jonping67's picture

Ryan who?

Did he play for us? If so, what year?

I am not familiar with the name.

+1 HS
Indiana-Buckeye's picture

Nice a little payback to Watkins... Too bad he didn't do that a few months ago...

+12 HS
osu407's picture

He is ridiculous. There is no better ambassador of buckeye football given his combination of skill on the field and character off the field. I am proud to be a fan of his. 

+6 HS
nightmuse's picture

Very Funny....went to Behind the Steel Curtain and they were sorta making fun of his "boo boo" before the game.....by the end of the first quarter they were naming him Rookie Defensive Player of the Year and going out and buying his #50 Jersey:)

+6 HS
OSUStu's picture

Behind the Steel Curtain was naming DROTY after the second day of camp and before the "boo boo" as Tomlin called it. He had a great camp and they recognized it quite early. They might be joking around about the injury but that is because it was clear early that it wasn't serious.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

bucks_symphony's picture

I bought my Shazier #50 almost a month and half ago.

dubjayfootball90's picture

I am buying my Fiance a #50 steeler Jersey. Wearing gloves to pick it up because I do not react well to touching those colors...

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

OSU069's picture

An incredible player. He is a straight beast. 

+2 HS
nightmuse's picture

Devier Posey is having a nice game as well....just scored for the Texans

+2 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

I haven't been able to figure out why he hasn't done more at the pro level.  He's got all the measurables, and for playing with a QB who lacked accuracy, he was a productive WR in college.  

Knarcisi's picture

Shazier in LeBeau's defense ... Do the math. 

+8 HS
OSUStu's picture

I did. Calculates to infinity sacks every year.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+2 HS
southbay's picture

Another steal for the Steelers.  

I would say this is addition by addition, clearly...with all due respect to Coach Fickell.

+10 HS
kgratz's picture

imagine if he would've stayed????

How Firm Thy Friendship

+5 HS
osu407's picture

He would have been the perfect walk out linebacker in Ash's new system. 

+5 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture

he learned not to devalue coming back from the whole roby situation.  he had to get his when he was a hot commodity.  don't fault him for it either, he was ready for the big show

+6 HS
osu407's picture

I agree completely. However, as a buckeye fan I can't help but speculate what a force he could be during a senior year. Irregardless, I am very happy about his success. It could not have happened to a better person, and OSU fans will forever appreciate his service. 

+2 HS
45OH4IO's picture

Addition by subtraction, according to Fickell.

OSU069's picture

Did we win though??

+7 HS
Habu71's picture

Not a Steeler fan but can't help but hope he absolutely tears it up. 

+2 HS
OSU725's picture

Shazier is easily my favorite Buckeye of recent, being a Bengals fan this is going to be an adjustment.

+2 HS
southbay's picture

Andy, meet Ryan...

+2 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

This is why the NFL draft process is screwed. The best football players get picked apart and over-analyzed. Their stock drops, they get drafted lower than they should, and then people act surprised when they turn out to be "steals" and good football players. Shazier should've gone top 5. Hyde should have gone first round. They are very good football players. 

+4 HS
southbay's picture

Not sure I understand about the process...some teams simply know how to evaluate talent better than others, because they have the right people in the right jobs in the front office.  The process is the same for all the teams, right?  Am I missing something?

+3 HS
Braxton2Devin's picture

They choose unproven "potential" over proven talent

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

I don't find the draft process screwed at all. Every team has the freedom to pick the best player on their board according to their own evaluation, not the talking heads. Exactly as it should be. Some teams have done better than others historically.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture
From Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Shazier, covering tight end Scott Chandler on a medium-range route over the middle, leaped high to intercept E.J. Manuel’s pass. He then turned on his sub-4.4 speed to return it 27 yards to Buffalo’s 37.

It is the kind of play the Steelers defense has lacked the past several years and a reason they drafted the speedy Shazier in the first round.

Their prized rookie did not stop there. He pitched in with nine tackles on defense from the inside buck position and added two more on kickoffs.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2014/08/16/Shazier-s-Steelers-debut-h...

+2 HS
KBonay's picture
Best I can do until I find a video.  INT & Return sequence.
Edit:  ESPN has a highlight, if you want to go there: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11364859

+1 HS
southbay's picture

He's the perfect OLB...built just right, jet speed, and the uncanny nose for getting to the ball.  Tackling machine.

+2 HS
funtubs's picture

He plays ILB for the Steelers

Mortc15's picture

You're right he does. But if you watch a game sometime, with the 3-4 defense, 1 of the inside backers is who typically walks out in coverage so although he's listed as ILB because of alignment, the steelers ILB are kind of a hybrid backer between ILB and OLB at times 

Buck-I4Life

southbay's picture

Thanks for that, I made an assumption about where they were playing him, but that says even more about how talented he is.  He's always tackled like an ILB, fearless and even stronger than people think.

lsjSnail's picture

Being chased by a zombie

+12 HS
MikeTheBuckeye's picture

Shazier finished with 11 tackles and an interception. 11 tackles was enough to lead both teams in that category, while doubling the output of every player with the exception of Terence Gavin (7 tackles, 1 sack). I'm glad Ryan is having a seamless transition into the NFL however, I wish I could watch his production in the new-age Silver Bullets.

MikeTheBuckeye's picture

He seems to be fitting in well in Pittsburg. Any thoughts on where you would rather see him play? In the NFL, of course. I'm sure we all would have liked to see him finish up his senior year.

+1 HS
Mhennin2's picture

Would have loved to see him in a titans uni, unfortunately we drafted a thug who threatens to rape rape victims and is in love with a rapist kicker from a state that blows and bends over

+3 HS
Adam21's picture

With the Packers. Right next to AJ Hawk with Peppers and Matthews on the outside. Matthews and Peppers rush the QB, AJ eats up blockers with Shazier's ballhawking skills. That would be nice to watch.

BeijingBucks's picture

I love how his teammates are all over him showering love.  Enough to make me a steelers fan again which I haven't really been since Lynn Swann, 'Mean' Joe Green and Franco Harris.

tempted to go back to fantasy football so I can force myself to pay attention to all the player stats. ok, whew!  That Matthew Berry moment passed.

None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license. ~ John Milton

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Missing RDS already - growing up in Cleveland - I do not like steelers but incredibly happy for him 

+1 HS
southbay's picture

Yeah, this is great to see, even though I'm not a Steelers fan, and it is really making me miss the guy.

BrutusBuckey3's picture

Enjoyed him while he was here. But friggin sucks that he plays for Pissburgh now. Screw Pittsburgh. Go Brownies!

DWright's picture

Upvoting you to counteract the downvote, Pittsburgh sucks. (But Shazier is war).

+2 HS
Buckabroad's picture

Now the world can see what we have always known: Shazier is a beast!

"The minute we stop expecting greatness, we become Wisconsin."

RunEddieRun1983's picture

Man, that's awesome, glad to hear it, unfortunate that it's for the Steelers though :)

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.