Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Replacing Roby's Punt Blocking

OSUClub_Baseball27's picture
August 3, 2014 at 7:39pm
15 Comments

Roby made several momentum-changing (game-changing eg. Northwestern, MSU 2012) punt blocks throughout his career at tOSU. Meyer is big on special teams and using his player's athleticism on punt blocking schemes. My question is: who is your best guess to replace Roby in this aspect? 

My money is on D. Grant 

Knarcisi's picture

Wouldn't be surprised to see a freshman like Lattimore or Webb step up here on special teams. 

+6 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

Since Trevor Thompson can't play basketball this year, maybe we can suit him up to block punts for the football team.

+6 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

Erick Smith.  I've heard Urban rave about him in the past, and think he may be a big contributor on special teams this year.

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+6 HS
512buckeye's picture

He has to block a field goal at some point this year.

Let's party, Columbus.

+2 HS
OSUBias's picture

If there is one thing not to worry about this season, it's us blocking some kicks. Urban coached teams come after the kicker and get there at a decent clip. Every year.

I'm more interested in who is back there returning. Does he go with better hands less explosion (brown) or give one of our "electric in space" athletes a chance?

Shitter's full

+2 HS
ITWASME's picture

Please be Samuel. Please be Samuel. Please be Samuel.

+1 HS
Youngbuck85's picture

Doran grants certainly got the speed for it.... But personally I think lattimore will be outstanding at blocking kicks and punts.... Remember that PAT he jumped in the air to block this year? Freak athlete

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Keep in mind that he used to use guys like Demps/Harvin/Rainey on the punt block team. I think we'll see some skill guys in there this year like Curtis Samuel, Gareon Conley and Marshon Lattimore.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

MacG91's picture

Terry Mclaurin? He is probably the second fastest recruit from last year, had the highest vertical and highest overall sparq score, the man is an athlete. 

Mac..yeah

+3 HS
zachross83's picture

I saw Terry play first hand in high school. He is definitely fast enough to get there. 

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Throw Vonn Bell in this mix. 

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

Marshon Lattimore . I don't know if you Guys remember, but there was a picture from a Glenville game of Lattimore jumping high in the air  to block a field goal. He's a freak athlete. 

Seattle Linga's picture

Lattimore and Grant have to be the front runners

+1 HS