Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

D-Line

apack614's picture
July 30, 2014 at 9:24am
6 Comments

So I'm bored last night and I turned on the 2003 NC (yes I am that lame) and I start to notice a lot of similarities between that D-Line and the one we have this year. As all of you know our Pass defense was NOT the best damn pass defense in the land last year! During the 2002 season I'm sure most of you remember how our pass defense was also pretty bad, but we won that game?? With threats like Ken Dorsey, Andre Johnson, Kellen Winslow, Rosco Parrish, and Willis McGahee we should have been destroyed down the field and then when we compensated they should have destroyed us up the middle... Right?

Wrong, because our D-Line was dominant all year long we were perfectly capable of blitzing NOONE and letting 5 or 6 people drop back to protect the pass down the field and the Outside LBers covering the flats, and we were still getting sacks!

I see a repeat of that in our near future with the great D-Line we have this year.

Killer nuts's picture

I was having a similar thought after reading the article yesterday in which Urban says the best D line he's seen is his at Florida when they beat us in the title game. I think our D line on our title team dominated games, the Fiesta Bowl being the best example

+3 HS
apack614's picture

Agreed, and that was with our guys playing an unreal amount of snaps per game. The offense was unable to stay on the field all year. So with this new thing where we will be rotating and keeping fresh legs in the game constantly I am truly excited to see the outcome.

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
Buckabroad's picture

You bring up good points. Our D-Line alone was mostly responsible for punishing, bruising and hurrying Dorsey all night long. They were tough, too, with some playing extremely well even with fractures or concussions during that game. I think especially if we can get Sweat on our team, our D-Line may have that prowess for years to come.

"The minute we stop expecting greatness, we become Wisconsin."

+2 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture

I agree, I mean you hear it all the time, it all starts up front.  If the guys up front are doing it, then the guys in the back can get it done.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+2 HS
Furious George 27's picture

The 2002 D gave up yards not points which was expected because they shut down the run, 2013 version stopped the run well but they didn't have the back 7 to stop the short passes and tackle as well.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+2 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

Agreed on the line.  But who is going to step up and be our Matt Wilhelm?  Methinks that will be important.  Not sure we matchup to that team in that area yet.

+1 HS