Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Most Painful Regular Season Losses this Century

BuckeyeNationforLife's picture
July 24, 2014 at 9:54pm
59 Comments

EDIT: '06 Florida is obviously the worst. I meant to say regular season.

I'm interested to see what everyone thinks were the 3 most awful games to lose this century in the regular season, or the most painful to watch. My top 3 would have to go something like this:

3A. USC vs Ohio State 2008 - An absolute embarrassment, filled with Todd Boeckman throwing 2 interceptions. At least it set up the path for Pryor to become a starter. Sanchez just dominated us.

3B. USC vs Ohio State 2009 - Second game in the home and home and I still have trouble coping with the final drive of that game. Thought they were finished on 3rd down. Should have won it, and the stadium was rocking.

2. Purdue vs Ohio State 2009 - This would most likely be included in anyone's list, and I just struggle to understand how we could get no offense going in a game against a defense as putrid as Purdue's that year. I avoided people for the next few days after this loss. I needed time alone with a friend named Jack.

1. Texas vs Ohio State 2005 - The eventual national champion Longhorns came into Columbus and despite Ohio State leading most of the 4th quarter, Vince Young scored with a little over 2 minutes left to win the game for UT. Ohio State caused 3 Texas turnovers in Texas territory and yet each time only converted a field goal. All around the most painful loss I can remember.

Chief B1G Dump's picture
  • 06 title game to Florida. 
  • 98 to Sparty. 
  • 96 to Mich. 

Edit: if by century, you mean from 2000 till now...I would say the most deflated I felt was the 03 game vs Wisconsin. We were defending national champs, hadn't lost in forever and got burnt by Lee Evans when Gamble bit/slipped on a double move. 

The most disgusted for me was at USC in 08 when we got embarrassed. That's was terrible. 

Even though we lost to Texas at home in 05 that was one of the better and craziest games I have attended (and I've been to a shitload). Great game, back and forth. I truly believe had Troy Smith started that we would have won it. Nothing but respect for college Vince Young, dude balled out. 

-1 HS

Vince Young was a beast that year, it just pains me to know how close we were to beating Texas when their QB had one of the greatest seasons in college football history.

'03 Wisconsin was rough. Took that out of my memory by force.

+1 HS
BrooklynBuckeye's picture

That Wisconsin game was brutal. The Robert Reynolds thing made it that much worse. The crazy thing is, a win over Michigan that year would have put OSU in the MNC game, I believe. For me, that makes the Michigan 03 loss tougher. I'm sure Tress remembers that one (easy to remember when there are no other losses to Michigan to mix it up with). 

NObuck-I-inTEAM's picture

Why must we torture ourselves!

+5 HS
southbay's picture

2010 at Camp Randall.  Buckeyes were good enough to go undefeated if they had made it past Wiscy.  

+5 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

We weren't good enough to make it pass the NCAA, Auburn was, however.

LEBRON

+6 HS
Kaceybrown's picture

Auburn, Alabama, the rest of the SEC, Florida State, etc...

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I was there.  It was rough on all fronts.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

TheShookster's picture

Texas in 2005 was a painful loss. The loss to USC in 2009 was painful. The loss to Wisconsin in 2003 was painful (damn you Lee Evans)...I think the Penn State loss during Pryor's freshman season was pretty hard to take as well...I'll take the Texas loss in 2005 as being the most painful.

Yeah, the Florida game is the big one post-season, but can I throw out that for me, the loss to Texas in the Fiesta Bowl was more painful? That was the worst I ever felt. 

+1 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

Sorry, enough pain for one day.

bethmowins's picture

for me '05 Texas and '09 USC. They were huge games and to this day I look back and it baffles me how we didn't win.

+2 HS
M Man's picture

Perhaps I can be of some assistance.  I just got off the phone with Woody.  He advises:

1. 1969.
  2. 1969.
  3. 1969.

One can fight a low blow, with an even lower return.

+9 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture

'03 Wisconsin. Was in Va Beach at time visiting friends, couldn't drink that loss away.

Both USC losses, and they were differing levels of pain and frustration. OSU was embarrassed in '08, and couldn't close in '09...the legend of Matt Barkley was born. What a f'n joke.

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+1 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

2004 to Northwestern..... Justin Zwickau helped prove me wrong, I never thought I would ever see Ohio State lose to Northwestern in football

2008 to Southern Cal got ugly quick, in a game that I wanted Ohio State to play well in.  I didn't think they were going to win, but had hoped they would at least show they belonged on the same field.

1994 to Penn State- not often will you see Ohio State lose by 7 touchdowns.  

+1 HS
AeroBuckeye2001's picture

Nothing hurt me as much as the 1998 loss to Saban and Michigan State. My first year at OSU. 

The Ohio State University Class of 2001
BS Aero & Astronautical Engineering

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

My first year at OSU. 

So it's your fault. :/

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

Buckeyefan52's picture

The 2007 Illinois game bummed me out, but I agree with the 2005 Texas game. I was there and I still have nightmares about that dropped pass

+1 HS
BrutusBuckey3's picture

That dropped pass against Texas in 05 will haunt me forever. USC in 08 when beanie was hurt was a bad loss. A terrible one really. But at least it was quick. The 09 loss to USC at home was worse for me. It was at home in front of a then record crowd. And we had em beat. They won in the shoe with a freshman QB. That's disgusting to me. 

BrutusBuckey3's picture

All that being said....Penn State in 09 and the pair of losses at Purdue were also tough to swallow. Of course, losing to *ichigan (on those few occasions) hurts the most...

Seattle Linga's picture

I went to the National Championship game in 06 so that one was tough to swallow. 

buckeyebfd's picture

This century I'd go with the USC thrashing in 08, but min was the game in the 90s to Illinois when Eddie fumbled twice on the doorstep and the Biting Illini ran them back for TDs.

whiskeyjuice's picture

ARGGHHHHHH, THIS THREAD IS EATING AWAY AT ME FROM THE INSIDE, THE PAIN!!!!! PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS
Ugly Hour Chazz Bear's picture

This century:

1. Michigan 2000/2003/2011

2. USC 2008/2009
3. Texas 2005
4. Penn St 2008
5. Penn State 2005

+1 HS
BrutusBuckey3's picture

This needs to stop. Hurting me talking about these losses...

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

The continual band aid being ripped off.

BrutusBuckey3's picture

Yeah. This is rough. Everytime we lose it hurts. Re-living it brings back the pain

Seattle Linga's picture

That's why 2012 was so sweet but it left me with that unfinished business feeling.

mr.green's picture

Exactly my list. That 2003 loss to UM sucked so much. 

bigtenspeed's picture

03 loss to scUM was pretty bad. Cost the Rose, the Big1T1en championship, and possibly National Championship. Were down big almost came back. Texas should've been a great win but then that 05 Penn State game would replace it on this list. Illinois in 07 was bad. Why didn't Tressel ever challenge calls? USC 09. Again, why didn't Tressel challenge calls?

RedStorm45's picture

RYAN BLEEPING HAMBY

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

98 MSU, that game by itself ruined my childhood. 

We had season tickets while my mom was a student, and a guy in our section hadn't brought his wife to a game ever in 15 years of attending games, and she'd finally talked him into it for that game. He never brought her again and said he had a hard time sleeping with her for a couple months. That game ruined lives.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Worst part about it - that was Slick Nick Saban patrolling the other sideline correct. 

PittBuckeye's picture

That's true, but I still think the worst part of it was the guy (who shall remain nameless) who couldn't just get out of the way of the punt because he was busy blocking someone. Dick.

airbuckeye's picture

That 98 MSU game was the worst for me as i was just a week out of the hospital from having a triple bypass and all i could do is stand or set there and say nothing. I thought that bypass was the worst thing to have to go though untill that game. DAMN was i ever WRONG and i felt lower than i had ever felt up to that point.

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

2009 USC would be up there for me, I was front row, I was on ESPN a few times, I was jacked up, and then it was just another 'OSU can't beat any good teams' storyline for the national media.

Illinois in...07?...was bad too. We were undefeated, got upset, the players came over to the South Stands to cheer with Block I, right in front of me. Stupid J Lehman.

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

+1 HS
InTressITrust's picture

2007. I went to two games. I bet everyone can guess what two. Also 2009 Purdue because I was also at that game.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

Curt Heinrichs's picture

2003 Wisconsin

2007 Illinois

2004 Northwestern

Groveport Heisman's picture

98 MSU has to be one of the more painful stakes to the heart. 2003 where Lee Evans hit Gamble with the double move for a 80 yarder was pretty bad too. Any loss to *ichigan.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

AkronBuckeye13's picture

2010 at Wisconsin. Was watching the game at a friend's place, I think I just went home afterwards and went to sleep.

niblick's picture

For anyone born after November 1969, the only answer to this question or any other like it is and will always be 98 MSU.  I hope you and the next 100 people to bring this memory back into mind again catch on fire and die a horrible death.  Can we PLEASE never speak of this again.

IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

When talking about this century, yes, 2010 at Wisconsin sucked the worst because of what it signified. No B1G title, not national title game appearance after spending half the season at No. 1. That game STILL does not compare to the 1998 Sparty game, however. That one made me so sick I missed work.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

HilltopHustle's picture

For me, the "worst" loses aren't ones against teams that were any good at all.

I don't feel much pain losing to 2005 + 2008 Penn State. Those teams were very good, to be honest. I DO FEEL PAIN losing to 2001 Penn State.

I don't feel much pain losing to 2004 Purdue. They had bite that year. I DO FEEL PAIN losing to 2009 Purdue.

2007 Illinois stung, despite the fact that Illinois did get to the Rose Bowl that year (in part because we went beyond there).

You get it.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Remember when we lost to Minnesota in 2000?

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
gneptuneproductions's picture

Imagine this thread from a Michigan point of view.. worst losses: App State, Toledo, Ohio State 2006, Ohio State 2002, Ohio State 2001, Ohio State 2004, Ohio State 2005, Ohio State 2007, etc. Aha

+2 HS
gonzogrover's picture

I broke the tv remote when the pass was picked off against Michigan State in 98. I was 15. Dad was pissed.

+1 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

I was in middle school. The heartbreak in this city was oozing for days.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

1.  USC 2009 (fucking Tresselball)

2.  Illinois 2007 (fucking refs)

3A.  Wisconsin 2010 (fucking run defense)

3B.  Wisconsin 2003 (fucking Gamble)

Honorable mention - losing to Minnesota in 2000 (fucking embarrassing) and Purdue in 2011 (fucking extra point)/2009 (fucking Pryor)

Class of 2010.

+3 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture

07' Illinois was just (f'in refs) it was the f**king replay official who allowed the obvious fumble at the goal line and the other calls stand.

PittBuckeye's picture

07' Illinois was only painful because I was at college surrounded by Pitt fans people who didn't have a stake in the game and therefor just wanted OSU to lose yelling "Juice is bringing the Illi-noooooooise" at me, I was almost arrested for murder.

apack614's picture

1. Losing to Michigan State this past year

2. Wisconsin '03

3. Losing to "Juice" Williams and the Illini

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

09 Purdue for me. I live in NE Indiana and work with a bunch of Purdue fans.  That one hurt because I just thought, ahh crappy slow start... typical, but we will come out and smash them in the 2nd half..... kept waiting... Just a terrible game to watch.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

cajunbuckeye's picture

Ryan Brewer. Ohio boy makes it big at South Carolina. Painful. That's all I've got to say about that.

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

I broke a 48" TV screen in '05. But my most heartbreaking one was Miami in 2011. Only time I have turned off an OSU game. Should have won that game....will never forgive Joey Baseball for that one

Honorable mention to the '11 UM game...I seriously almost cried.

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

The '08 MNCG vs. LSU; seeing tOSU go up by 10, Chris Wells putting up like 200 on the ground, but the kicker was that second QTR. tOSU would have them stopped, then comes a stupid PF call or something on multiple drives.

The '05 UT-tOSU game was painful. I like and follow UT, but not when they play tOSU. I thought we had them until Hamby dropped that TD in the end zone. I was stationed in Texas at the time of the game and in Austin that night. 6th street was incredible. Oddly enough, I returned home to Columbus and they were playing in Austin: just my luck.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

cambridgebobcat33's picture

1. '96 Michigan is # 1 for me.  I lived in Morrill tower at the time on the 16th floor. I could see into the Shoe from my window and my best friend got two tickets from his dad for the game. I was nervous all week, our team was loaded but with Coopers track record in big games I knew it wasn't going to be easy. We know the result. Never in my 4 years did i see campus so quiet. We still went to the bars to drink our sorrows but every bar was dead, there were no house parties going on and the streets were somewhat empty. Tough loss, that team was a good squad, Pace, Springs, Rob Kelly, Boston, Ty Howard, Germaine..........

2. '95 Michigan. This team was stacked. Sick talent, maybe the best OSU has ever had. Watching Biakabutuka run wild was the sickest feeling i've ever had outside of the drive and the fumble.

3. Texas home game loss. Such hype for this game. We had it won but Vince made great plays to win it, I was at this party for the game and left for home immediately after it was over. I almost could go with the USC debacles but felt we would lose those games given USC's talent and pete carrol is a great coach.

+1 HS
BuckeyePoetLaureate's picture

I was at the 2008 Penn State game and that loss was pretty bad.  We really should have won that game. 

USC 2008 and 2009 were painful, too.

Here's how I felt those days:

Proud alumnus of the Ohio State Creative Writing MFA Program.  Creator of the writing craft site Great Writers Steal.

dubjayfootball90's picture

That 2009 Purdue loss was one of the most painful losses I remember. The wisky loss that thwarted our Title hopes a few years back, Forget what year that was. Any helpers?

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.