Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Why Did Ash Really Leave Arkansas...

ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture
July 16, 2014 at 10:58pm
55 Comments

I am listening to SEC media days instead of the ESPY's to see what these coaches have to say about the upcoming season, and lo and behold, it's Bert!  The journalists are having a field day with all of his failings, including his disagreement with Malzahn on 'player safety' and pace of play, on his lack of wins last year, and of course this led to a question about his staff...

In being questioned about recruiting coaches as much as the players, it is clear he had no friends in the coaching ranks.  It must be a lonely world when you have no one to truly lean on to help you with their Rolodex... Urban had Lou Holtz, Earle Bruce, and the friendships he made as a GA to help create a valuable base of coaches he would want to work with in the future.  

In mentioning the coaching changes, and how he brought staff from Wisconsin, he fails to mention Mr. Ash.  Let's not forget how he burned bridges leaving Wisconsin, too.  I can't blame anyone for wanting to get out of dodge if you had to work with a nitwit like Bert.

This media day is an instant classic and very insightful in elucidating the walking maelstrom that is Bert.  His comments about his new staff lacked a tone of respect and more clearly resembles what leadership is not.  He has no sense of sophisticated thinking, and so I won't be surprised when we hear that he is out of a job and that he ends up flipping burgers somewhere.  

He speaks of his assistant coaches as if he is doing them a favor by letting them be on His staff... What a douche.

whiskeyjuice's picture

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+11 HS
toad1204's picture

Who's Bret?

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+8 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

typo

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Typo? His name is Bret. Bert is some kind of nick-name or something. I never bothered to try and figure out why some people call him Bert, but feel free to look it up. His name is Bret Bielema.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

-2 HS

The sarcasm was so obvious, it would be a slap in the face to the italics button to use it

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Is this a serious question? Bret Bielema is the Arkansas head coach. Used to be the head coach of Wisconsin. Look it up. 

If you are confused because the article is referencing him as Bert........can't help you there. Must be a nick-name or something.

-2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Can somebody explain to me why I'm getting downvoted for this "Bert" vs "Bret" thingy?

-1 HS
Adam21's picture

Because everybody knows it is Bret. Calling him Bert is just a subtle jab at him. As a similar example, while Brett Favre was playing for the Vikings, Packer fans referred to him as Brent. 

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

lol, ok now I understand. Kinda sucks though that fellow Buckeye fans would DV me for not knowing this. I'm still relatively new to 11W and have noticed that the community here is pretty strict and seems to expect everybody else to be of a certain knowledge caliber. No wonder in the short time I have been on this 11W community,  I have already seen quite a few members ran off of this site. Tough crowd. I hope that by saying all this, I won't get DV'td but I won't be surprised if I do.

+2 HS
toad1204's picture

Obligatory UVs WJ.  

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

dustinccc's picture

"Karma" got to love it!

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

+11 HS
BuckeyeinToledo's picture

This is right before kickoff, right?

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+8 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

+6 HS
apack614's picture

Sounds like an arrogant prick

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Sounds like [Is] an arrogant prick

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+4 HS
DrSpaceman's picture

Hey let's be honest... I would be pretty distraught too if I went from coaching a team with three straight Rose Bowl berths to a team that lost to future Big Ten Powerhouse Rutgers.

"Medicine is not a science" - Leo Spaceman

+7 HS
BuckeyeOfTheTiger's picture

To be fair, only one of those Rose Bowls was really earned, and they lost that one to TCU.  Only someone like Bert could ride that wave of success.

+3 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

well that was only a medium size wave which explains his medium sized job at Arkansas

BKshepherd's picture

Dude, Please don't use words like elucidating after 11. 

+2 HS

lo and behold, it's Bert!

Made me think

A wild Bert appears!

+9 HS

Or Marty Stouffer's Wild Bert-dom

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

-2 HS

You mean Wild America? Which you would change to Bert-merica? I refused to ever say that fictional word, ever again.

Seems I have offended your love for Wild America.  I, too, loved Wild America, and the value of that show certainly towers over Bert and everything that surrounds him in his world, but I should have contextualized this to say that Bert-dom (as in kingdom) is like a show in itself.

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Unky Buck's picture

Come on guys...we're picking on a guy who can't even walk! It's just not fair...

+21 HS
BeijingBucks's picture

You know that isn't fair as it just guarantees up votes.  Except an occasional Arkansas alumni DV

None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license. ~ John Milton

+1 HS
AkronBuckeye13's picture

This wasn't an accident, he was showing what happened to Arkansas after they entered SEC play last year.

+1 HS
blocko330's picture

First time I saw this I thought he was about to bust out the worm.....then I realized it was Bert...

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

512buckeye's picture

I showed this to my girlfriend and she asked if it was Chris Christie...

Let's party, Columbus.

Seattle Linga's picture

He's truly the gift that keeps on giving.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

+10 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

Haha I'm glad you found a better way to get upvotes man. Funny gifs and pictures are much more lucrative than forum posts. Keep up the good work!

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

whiskeyjuice's picture

lol, thanks!

Go1Bucks's picture

Damn it.  I can't unsee this and now I have to try and sleep!

Go Bucks!

CC's picture

I'm intersted to see how he does.  While he does seem like a first clase d-bag, the guy did get Wiscy to 3 Rose bowls in a row.  While the 3rd one is total BS, it's still their best stretch ever.

+1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

Actually he only led them to 2 Rose Bowls, he bailed on his team in 2012 and he was 1-2 vs OSU in those 3 seasons.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

+5 HS
buckskin's picture

We are seeing Bert's coaching ability without Alvarez propping him up.

+5 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

But, But, But, he shows how bad the B1G is because he left an upper echelon B1G school to coach a lower level SEC school. . .
Remember the media firestorm when he left? Remember how this proved how far the B1G had fallen? I warned Arkansas and SEC fans on other blogs that they were mining fool's gold and I was roundly criticized as being butthurt. I am glad this blew up in all their faces.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I'm thinking Ash couldn't pick up Hoganese...

+10 HS
shortbus20's picture

It must be the fresh air

• shortbus20
AngryWoody's picture

Chris Ash left because Bert is a universally disliked d-bag who has no respect from his peers and carries himself like a pig. I don't care if Ash is too respectful to come out and say it, we all know it's the truth.

Our Honor Defend!

+5 HS
BierStube's picture

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+20 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

I have pretty high regard for Barry Alvarez, as he really turned the WI program around, but his judgment must be questioned for hand-selecting Bert as his successor.

+3 HS
Furious George 27's picture

I think Barry hired him so he could still have a hand in the operation.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

the other side of that is ... Barry probably felt like he was still in charge of the team because Bert can't think for himself ... so . Barry could move out of the office and away from the grind while still being in control of the football program from start to finish ... it eventually blew up because he propped Bert up too high and Bert started believing in his own false success ... but it was sort of brilliant while it lasted

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

maybe johnny football really does belong in Ohio . ...

+2 HS
gobucks96's picture

I don't normally want people to fail (that aren't wearing maize and blue), but this is too much fun to watch, You already know what's going to happen, and each step (or misstep) is as fun as the last....

BierStube's picture

The real reason Ash left ... he was tired of only getting scraps to eat during the coaches dinner meetings.

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+1 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

You see it in Corporate America, the best and brightest minds are always the first to desert a sinking ship. Glad we have Coach Ash. Glad Bert is mired in college football purgatory. He deserves it.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

Mr. Bungle's picture

I just watched the clip of Bert from SEC Media Days.  A few observations--first of all, he looks uncomfortable, out of breath, talking too fast.  He uses "we" interchangeably when referring to Arkansas and Wisconsin, in the present tense.  He will never be confused with a scholar, but few coaches are.  His sense of humor is kind of mean-spirited.  He is the epitome of the Midwestern, arrogant jock-coach.   

In my opinion, he's still inherently unlikeable.  Has to be a bitch recruiting with that personality.  Or maybe not.  Maybe some players respond to him.  He has the toughest job in the toughest conference and he very well may lose all of his SEC games again this year.  I would feel a little sorry for him if he wasn't so smarmy.  The guy has to have some talent for Alvarez to hire him and keep him.  Guess we will find out this season.  

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Ash is in a much better place now - there is no place like home Chris --- there is no place like home. 

+1 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Even the soundest of defensive schemes can fail if you don't have the talent. The fact Ash improved Arkansas' D speaks volumes about him because they had SQUAT talent wise last season.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.