Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Best RB duos of 2014 - OSU gets a little love

Buckeye Knight's picture
June 10, 2014 at 2:40pm
30 Comments

http://247sports.com/Article/Todd-Gurley-Keith-Marshall-lead-the-country...

1. I'm surprised Yeldon and Henry aren't higher up on the list, even at #3, they are both absolute studs.  Henry is a FREAK.

2. Surprised (and glad) that they gave EzE and Curtis some love.  We know their potential, but they are pretty unproven and I doubt hardly anyone outside of OSU fans know who they are...yet.

sox33osu's picture

I'm interested in why they listed Samuel and not Rod Smith.

+2 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

or Brionte Dunn, or Warren Ball...

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+2 HS
Bolt's picture

Didn't Rod not even participate in spring ball? Kind of falling behind in the pecking order if so. And Samuel was the guy turning the most heads in spring practice at the running back position. That'd probably be why.

+1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

I mean this in all sincerity and no disrepect, I dont get the Rod Smith love on here. Sure, he is an athletic freak, I pull for him everytime he enters the game, but in his time at OSU he has made only a handful of plays. He was on the field last year significantly less than he was the year before. His upperclassman stature, coupled with his inability to get on the field more than most likely will lead to young pups passing him by - see Elliot and probably Samual.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Honestly, #1 could be Gurley by himself.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+4 HS
labuck's picture
+1 HS
irishfury's picture

I hope he stays healthy this year.  He is a sight to see.  Would love to see the number he puts up when healthy.

TraSmith4's picture

Henry and Gurley are both freaks with a capital "F" when they are healthy! As much as we all loved El Guapo and will miss him dearly I think EzE will step right in and produce at a high level and Samuel or somebody else in the RB stable could surprise us all and breakout in a big way! Can't wait till game day!!!!

Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

You're delusional if you think EzE is going to step right in and replace El Guapo and we're not going to miss a beat.  A strong case can be made that El Guapo was the best RB since MoC, and maybe even since Eddie George.

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

I do agree with you on that comparison. While I do think you're right about EzE not stepping right in and putting up the same numbers, I do think he is more than capable of being more than effective. Adding in the depth behind him he should stay fresh. Now the offensive line is another story...

+2 HS
saltybuck61's picture

That is the biggest reason why I can't see the running game being as efficient as last year, even if Carlos Hyde was back there. The offensive line will most likely not be close to last year's production, although I would not be shocked to see Warriner coach up a quality unit once again. 

sox33osu's picture

There's definitely no lack of talent here on the OL. It is good that we have 3 starters set (assuming Lindsay would start, which I am). Still, it'd be impossible to think they're going to be able to match what guys like Mewhort, Linsley, Norwell and Hall put up last year. That was an underrated bunch.

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

Same was said going into the 2012 season, and again into the 2013 season.

NH-IO's picture

I was just watching the 2002 Michigan game on BTN the other day.  Clarett's vision and timing were amazing.  Hyde does not compare.  I doubt that anyone this year will match Hyde's output, not because Hyde was so much better, but because the o-line last year was so great.  Remember Eze had a higher ypc than Hyde - I know smaller sample size and different circumstances/competition, but I believe the line was a huge part of Hyde's success.  I don't see the them having that same impact this year, unfortunately.

+1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

My words were actually "produce at a high level" and not "replace". I loved El Guapo I think he was the best we had since MoC but not on Eddie's level. That being said Carlos averaged 5.9ypc as a Freshman, 5.3 as a Soph and 5.2 as a Junior but exploded to 7.3 his Senior year so I am not sure how EzE who averaged 8.7ypc as a Freshman and who is faster than El Guapo is somehow going to make everyone wish we had El Guapo back! It's Ohio State we re-load! The only disadvantage EzE will have this year is a new O-Line trying to gel and become a cohesive unit early in the year. 

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture
 El Guapo was the best RB since MoC
No.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Everyone forgets Beanie's greatness.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

He was so great he made a X.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

otrain2416's picture

I was more surprised they mentioned two TSUN running backs on there then the fact they put Eze & Samuel. They must have forgotten TSUN lacks an offensive line. 

irishfury's picture

How is Michigan Oline bad?  They recruited so many 4-5 star oline.  I don't really follow players after the commit to scum.  The only other time I pay attention to Scum is when we stomp them or to turn in to watch them get humiliated by a App St or Toledo.

AngryWoody's picture

How is Michigan Oline bad?

"It's all Richrod's fault" - Every M*ch*g*n fan ever

Our Honor Defend!

+2 HS
otrain2416's picture

They are absolutely awful. Hoke has not developed any of the 4-5* talent he has recruited. Their two best Olineman last year were the two tackles who rich rod recruited and they both graduated.

+1 HS
TheVictoryBell45's picture

I like the way Brionte Dunn runs. He hits the whole fast and can make good sutle cuts in traffic. 

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

With the 10th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Brown select, Todd Gurly, Running Back, The University of Georgia...oh please oh please!

-1 HS
sox33osu's picture

I think he actually spells it "Noah Spence". 

KBonay's picture

Had to fix one sentence

Some All considered Samuel a five-star athlete in the 2014 class.

AngryWoody's picture

I'm gonna say it's going to take about three weeks until these guys are household names.

Our Honor Defend!

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

I'll bet last year's list had Hyde listed by himself at #1.

I still think it's funny that Fournette (LSU) incoming frosh is/ was about to turn 20. He better be a beast seeing as how he pretty much has a 2 year head start on every other frosh RB.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
rdubs's picture

Whereas I am pretty sure Paris Campbell is still 16....

Stellar's picture

I would be very surprised if Curtis Samuel was actually our real #2 RB next year. I see him being more of a "novelty" player the way Dontre Wilson was last year. There will be some packages designed for him but he won't be a consistent part of the offense yet.

+1 HS