Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Why are so many 1-AAs getting drafted?

Mean Mr Mustard's picture
May 10, 2014 at 6:27pm
5 Comments

Not that I blame NFL GMs--generally they have great work ethic.  How are so many of these guys getting missed by 1-A teams

Crimson's picture

I'm not quite sure that's the point.  If you're looking to draft someone in rounds 6-7, those probable to catch on have been picked over.  The remaining players are high risk, high reward, and less well coached and scouted because they played 1-AA.  You might as well pick a high upside 1-AA guy over someone from 1-A who you know can't make it at the NFL level.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

How are so many of these guys getting missed by 1-A teams

Could be a number of things. Grades, off-field trouble, late development, etc.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Mean Mr Mustard's picture

Those are other good points.  It just seems really high this year

cplunk's picture

Pro football is a different game than college football. Different levels of skill, different talent packages. 

Look at how many Heisman winners are not good players at the NFL level. College success has little to do with NFL success, and vice-versa. 

NFL teams are looking for extremely specific skillsets in extremely specific areas that fit each of their schemes. Once the guys that have those specific skillsets are off the board- which is about the end of the second round- every pick is based on potential to grow in those specific skillset areas.

The 1A teams didn't miss anything in most cases. What they needed in a player is different from what NFL teams want in a draft pick.

Rjpfish2's picture

Good points. Always a few cats from Slippery Rock in an NFL starting lineup.