Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHA

Calgarybuck's picture
May 8, 2014 at 9:05pm
63 Comments

I honestly never thought the browns could stoop to a new low...This is unreal! LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Deadly Nuts's picture

SERIOUSLY.... WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK? At least they didn't take Lewan.

LEBRON

+4 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

Lol. Who Dey!

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

+2 HS
AngryWoody's picture

Glad I'm a Cincy fan. Seriously though, what the hell is wrong with Cleveland?

Our Honor Defend!

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

LMAO they got the most controversial CB with that trade.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-2 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

By controversial, did you mean consensus best?

+2 HS

Shhhhh the guy is a beast no doubt about it. He is the biggest fastest prospect at the position and it isn't even an argument. His heart,desire,footwork,technique,and coachability have been under serious scrutiny by NFL scouts. While he was one of the fastest straight line runners in the 40 he proceeded to run times of "4.43 and 6.91" in the "short shuttle" and "3-cone drill" which would have been among the SLOWEST of any CB tested at the combine. Guy is a great prospect and great top speed. Those 2 numbers I posted above make him a question mark because corners do more then run in a straight line.There were what 4 CB's taken in the first? In 4 years we will be able to judge if Gilbert at 8 was a great pick. I think he will do just fine.

-1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

He was inconsistent at Ok State and doesn't have great technique.  Not "consensus" best as many experts/analysts disagreed on the ordering of the top 5-6 DBs in this draft.

+1 HS

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/consensus

Usage Discussion of CONSENSUS

The phrase consensus of opinion, which is not actually redundant (see sense 1a; the sense that takes the phrase is slightly older), has been so often claimed to be a redundancy that many writers avoid it. You are safe in using consensus alone when it is clear you mean consensus of opinion, and most writers in fact do so.

-1 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

Shocking pick but not bad. I really like Gilbert as a prospect. Gilbert+Haden+Whitner=awesome secondary

+3 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

In a power running division

+4 HS

Then in that case, lol indeed.  Lol at the Bengals too.  

Jbuckham94's picture

I'll admit I'm not as big of a NFL fan as college, but I would no longer describe the AFC North as a power running division. The Ravens have consistently underused Ray Rice in the populace's expert opinion. The Bengals hardly are a power running team with AJ Green and their receiving core and their 1st string running back (name?) being more of the smaller, faster variety than a big bruiser. And the Steelers were one of the earliest teams to bring about a spread attack when Ward was still around and Wallace was up there.

The entire league is becoming more pass oriented, so getting a good secondary will help against all teams. And yes, even the ones in the division.

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

+3 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

The Bengals and Ravens do not have Valid QB's, their starters no doubt but nothing special, Outside of AJ green their passing games are nothing special.  The Bengals run it enough that Bernard and the Law firm (green-ellis) are both relevant in fantasy football, The browns have never had a QB and Josh Gordon could be suspended again.  So your basing your opinion solely on the Steelers, who have signed Blount this off-season..

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Any Parks and Rec gif will get an up-vote from me.

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

I'll admit those are good points. Didn't know about Blount and thought that the Bengals had more weapons around Green.

But I'm curious as to how you are gauging validity of NFL QBs. Yes neither Flacco or Dalton are Rodgers or Brady, but they also helped lead their teams to the postseason for the past 3 years while throwing 500+ pass attempts. Flacco actually threw it over 600 times this past year and Dalton was at 586. Compare that to Wilson and Kaepernick, who I think we can agree are on true power running teams, who only threw a shade over 400 times, 416 and 407 respectively.

Now I know actual stats are different than opinions and an emphatic gif, but I think we can both agree that those teams are not power running teams, and rely on passing quite a bit ;D

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

+1 HS

Bengals haven't been a power running team for a couple years. Ravens im not to privy on but at least last year they sucked running the rock. Historically both teams want and have been power in the past but times are a changing.

-1 HS
Jeremypreemo81's picture

Silver I agree its not a bad pick but the path they took to get him was just foolish.  You trade down from 4 to 9 when IMO you should've taken the ready to play impact player in Sammy Watkins-but nonetheless they trade and get 2 picks in 2015.  One of those picks will probably be in the top 10 since the Bills will stink.  THEN they trade up one pick to 8 and give up a 2014 pick to do that when Gilbert would've been there at the very next pick.  Unless someone was coming up to get Gilbert then why would you trade up one spot and loose an addtl pick?    Cleveland needs all the picks they can get so I thought that part was foolish

jeremytwoface's picture

I like the pick a lot... This is a passing league. If you can't defend the pass, you can't win. Did any of you see Buster Skrine play opposite of Joe Haden last year??????

Yeah... Didn't work that well.

+6 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture

Honestly thought Dennard from MSU was better but hey....

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Yeah I think they were close... That's why I think they wasted the 5th round pick with the trade... Worst case scenario is Minnesota picks Gilbert and the Browns can take Dennard. Oh well.

otrain2416's picture

Dennard wasn't even the second corner taken so there was something obviously the scouts didn't like with teams that needed CBs

Northbrook's picture

All but one pick so far is from a warm weather state.

-1 HS

Northbrook Ive seen your screen name in the past and meant to ask you if was geared after the town down here in Cincy in between Colerain and Mt.Healthy?

Hovenaut's picture

They could've done worse, and they picked up a couple picks for '15.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Could have done a lot worse... two stud corners in this league is worth a lot. They can still get a good QB at 26

Not sure they needed to trade up one spot though.

+1 HS
bigDbuck's picture

Not a big fan of Big 12 D backs. We'll see, but thought they could have done better.

OH_IO's picture

Maybe they're waiting a year for one Braxton Miller. 

Oh yeah... Is it reasonable?

+1 HS

Hey all is good...The browns feel confident in their shitty oline. Feel like they have enough playmakers? Doubt it..Tune in tomorrow.

-5 HS
ohiowhitesnake's picture

There is a reason they are in the top 10 every year. Sorry to all my Brownie fans out there.

brandonbauer87's picture

This is why Cincinatti sucks. Cincy fans come on here to talk trash about the Browns. Get a life. 

+2 HS

Some Bengals fans secondarily cheer for the Browns..Like myself...Nothing wrong with a little in-state banter back and forth. Im sorry but the Browns did great with the trade then messed things up a little by blowing a 5th rounder to jump a spot and grab a guy who might not be as good as the Bengals grabbed at 24. I always thought Gilbert was the most talented CB but comes with the most risk. And for future reference learn how to spell "Cincinnati" so we can continue this friendly banter.

-3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

It's more fun if I spell it wrong. 

Earle's picture
+2 HS
Killer nuts's picture

Should've taken roby

+1 HS
BuckeyeLuv's picture

Browns need a lot of help.....this is a solid pick!

Always BuckeyeLuv!

Danify's picture

I don't understand why they would trade up for Justin Gilbert who would've been there at #9, but I will say it's a excellent pick as he will match up with Haden as an one-two combo while being able to be used in Kick Return | Punt Return duties.

+2 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

Only the browns management would trade up one pick for a guy presumed to be a late first rounder at best. Oh and the team they traded up with one spot for the pick, yeah, there was no way in fuck the Vikings were gonna take him.  Absolutely fucking hilarious. This kind of incompetence is literally not even conceivable.

-5 HS

What draft analysis did you read?  From what I saw, he was projected at 12.  Top 15 in almost everything I read.  I'm not sure they needed to trade a 5th round pick to move up.  They found the best player for them and that they liked and they went out and got him.  I'll live with it.  IMO, they are having an excellent draft so far.  I hope they continue today and tomorrow.  

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Gilbert would have been there for another 8-9 picks.

+1 HS
BHT's picture

They just took Manziel.

nm_buck's picture

that was a stroke of luck... nobody else wanted him for some odd reason

-1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

I like Manziel at 22, would have been horrid at 4. I am doubly cringing we didn't snag Watkins now.

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Pass on Julio Jones...end up with Greg Little and Brandon Weeden (and Phil Taylor that round), and various other picks/players that didn't really pan out (4th rounder used to trade up to get Richards, who is now gone and got a pick back that indirectly turned into Manziel).

Pass on Watkins...end up with Manziel and who knows as of yet.  Traded back, then up for Gilbert.

Outside of Braylon Edwards, they're the anti-Lions...not wanting to use top 10 picks on wide receivers.

stubbzzz's picture

am I the only one who can't stand Manziel? Everyone else is cheering and praising Cleveland like they just drafted Jesus in cleats while I feel sick to my stomach.  this is ridiculous.  I'm trying to think of a player who gets under my skin more than Manziel.  Tim Biakabatuka maybe?  

+4 HS
BHT's picture

No you're not. I cannot stand him either. Too me, it looks like he just wants attention.

How about any TTUN player? They get under my skin every time I see or hear them.

+1 HS

People wanted the microscope focused on Cleveland and what they got was a NASA sized telescope. Its either going to look pure genius or straight up dunce cap material. I have high hope but low expectations.

BroJim's picture

This pick is going to turn out worse than Couch!

I season my simple food with hunger

Woodshed's picture

Overall number 1 vs. 22nd pick. Your point makes no sense.

DJ Byrnes's picture

Yup. The best CB in the draft, a first rounder in 2015 (from Buffalo, likely top 10 pick) and JFF. Browns really bungled this one :(

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

AJBor41's picture

Amen.  I get that people don't like him. Heck, I didn't like him until around 10:45pm last night. However, where is the proof that he can't play or is undeserving of a #22 draft spot?

RedStorm45's picture

The film against LSU.

AJBor41's picture

Ok, that's one game, and a terrible one for sure. Have you seen Bortles' tape against Tulsa in 2012 or Memphis last year? Tulsa...and Memphis...

RedStorm45's picture

Wasn't really in favor of Bortles either.

And it was LSU both years he played them.

jonping67's picture

Let's not forget how good Texas A&M was prior to Manziel, they sucked. Like him or not, he's a winner. I hope he stays out of trouble and I think he will turn out to be better than Drew Brees because they are both of similar stature. The major difference between the two of them is Johnny is much faster. Welcome to the Brown's Family Johnny Football!

+1 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

Johnny will be better than Brees,,,,,,,,,,,,

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+1 HS
Kjetland's picture

You do realize that before Manziel there was Tannehill at A&M. He went 8th overall to Miami and had a damn good year last year. 

They were no slouch before Mazniel. 

RedStorm45's picture

The rumors are that Minnesota wanted to trade up to 22....to take Bridgewater.  Unless the Browns thought KC (just made the playoffs with Alex Smith, would Andy Reid want to completely change his offense for Manziel?), SD (Rivers...no), or Cincy (Dalton...no) were going to take Manziel that was a waste of a 3rd round pick this year - a player who likely could have come in and been a starter or at least competed for a staring job.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/09/5012620/were-the-chiefs-close-to-ta...

No one ever thinks of the trades that don't materialize.  This is probably more common than anyone thinks, yet because teams a,b, and c don't need this person, they assume that this person automatically falls to team d.  I'm guessing this scenario is involved in many picks, possibly even the drafting of Gilbert.  

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Exactly.  You don't just have to worry about the teams in front of you, you have to worry about the teams that might want to jump you.  If the player you want is available, and the cost to move up corresponds to the value you have for him, you go get him or risk losing him.  Now, you can question whether the valuation is correct (and by the way, I do for Johnny), but I have no issue with them trading up to get their guy, even if it is just one spot.

+1 HS
rightfield's picture

Browns = one step forward and three steps back. I think it is impossible for them to be a winner. That would throw   the universe on its ear. Losing and the Browns go hand in hand. It's the natural law of our universe.

Its good to be the king

stubbzzz's picture

I just keep thinking how the Browns could've had Watkins, Roby, and Carr.  I feel like those meet the biggest needs with better players at each position.  To me Roby = Gilbert, Carr > Manziel, and Watkins >>> ?

I think Carr will be the only QB who ends up making it, from this draft class.  except now that I re think about it, he doesn't stand a chance because he got drafted by Oakland.