Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Trey Johnson Spring Update?

JDunc686's picture
April 10, 2014 at 12:08pm
37 Comments

Has anyone heard anything about what is going on with Trey Johnson this spring?  I think many of us, myself included, assumed he would be the frontrunner to take over the vacant starting spot at LB.  I am glad to hear about D. Lee seizing the opportunity but I just find it odd that I haven't heard much of anything at all about Johnson this spring.  Does anyone know if he is having a solid spring or anything at all about his progress?

RunEddieRun1983's picture

There was one, and only one that I remember, spring practice update where Meyer was quoted as saying that Trey Johnson is getting himself lost in the shuffle.  If I remember right there were some concerns with the amount of work he put in on his own in the off season, there were concerns with grades I believe, and I just don't think he impressed the coaches with his work ethic and self-motivation.  He's a kid with a ton of talent, he made the two deep last year for a reason, but he's a ghost right now.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+1 HS
JDunc686's picture

I appreciate the insight! I do remember reading about the work-ethic concerns awhile ago but I just find it odd that I haven't seen a single update on him since then.  I've heard more about Chris Worley since then, which is great, but nothing else about Johnson.  Here's to hoping that things can turn around for him!

+1 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture

It's so easy to get yourself in the dog house though.  Especially on a team that has so much expectation.  It doesn't take much to turn the coaches off of you and just kind make yourself another body out there.  Look at Eli Apple and see how long it has taken him to get back on the scene.  Could be an uphill battle for Trey Johnson.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+1 HS
zhamilton05's picture

I found this thread because I was thinking the same thing. It's entirely possible that Trey ends up transferring closer to home to get a fresh start. A year ago, could you imagine our prized LB recruits Mike Mitchell and Trey Johnson being out of the program? I'm glad local, less-heralded recruits like Worley and Perry and Lee and Powell are getting serious playing time, but our future superstars (for the most part) are going to come from south of the Mason-Dixon line. Hopefully cases like Mitchell, Johnson, and even Curtis Grant don't make other out-of-state blue-chippers leery about coming to Columbus!

HotSauceCommittee's picture

He hasnt played a snap of his sophomore season, and the team hasnt played an actual down, and you are stating he will transfer. We dont even know who the starters will be for this season yet. Then you associate Mitchell's situation to Johnson's and say it will have an affect on recruiting out of state kids. I dont get any of that.

We have three LB positions wide open right now. Sure, Perry seems like a lock to start, but just three weeks ago most of us here had Johnson taking Perry's place. To me, Johnson has a job for the taking - if he works hard enough and plays well enough. He was in the 2-deep last year before getting hurt.  If he doesnt play this year, he will still have two years of eligibility left and a good chance for playing time.

+9 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Off topic, but I feel like you should make your icon the Beastie Boys album cover for Hot Sauce Committee Part 2. It just feel appropriate. #RIPYauch

+2 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

Too lazy. But yes Unky I should indeed look into that.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Just a reminder that hard work beats star rankings every single time.

DIRECTIONER

+5 HS
otrain2416's picture

Works 60% of the time every time

+12 HS
Bailey458's picture

It's a formidable scent...it stings the nostrils, in a good way...I've gotta tell you that smells like pure gasoline.

ha, love it

+7 HS
otrain2416's picture

Works 60% of the time every time

*Edit: sorry for the double post

Earle's picture

That's 120%.  Impressive.

Italics are for emphasis.

+5 HS
mtrotb's picture

In the scrimmage last Saturday per Cleveland.com it was Lee, Grant, and Perry running with the #1's and Worley, Raekwon and walkon Joe Burger running with the #2's.

mtrotb

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

I heard even Cameron Williams was getting time with the 1's..Johnson is either being punished or he needs to think about a transfer with the hungry group of LBers we have coming in a couple months.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-5 HS
BassDropper's picture

Cam Williams play MLB. The pecking order at that position is; 1.Grant 2.Cam Williams 3.Raekwon

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS

Yea I know the pecking order and there has been times this spring that Cam has been seen with the ones. Maybe Curtis needed a breather or got dinged a little who knows. I know Trey doesn't play the middle was just saying Cam a guy who looked more lost then Trey last season has actually shot up a rank while Trey has kind of been past by.Really upsets me that he didn't put in the hard work in the winter but hopefully he can redeem himself this summer.

+1 HS
gobucks96's picture

Plenty of time to figure out LB lineup..

BassDropper's picture

From the sound of it, the LBers are figured out. Darron Lee / Curtis Grant / Josh Perry all seem to have spots locked up right now.

Chris Worley / Raekwon McMillan / one of the freshman (Im thinking Booker) will all be in the rotation and get plenty of PT. I am perfectly content going forward with this group. 

DIRECTIONER

+4 HS

The LB situation at tOSU is never set in stone and never really figured out. I think our next "Great" is about to step on campus in a couple months. The last Mr. Football LB here worked out pretty well Oh and I think he might have been the only other LB to ever win Mr. Football. Im going to have a Booker jersey made as soon as he declares a number.

+2 HS
tussey's picture

I hope that he gets things figured out.  It would be disappointing to see a player not utilize the talents that have been given to him.  

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture
-1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

Tell that to Shazier, who came to OSU as a 195 pound undersized DE.

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Sarcastic Senitivity Classes are available on Mblog. 

southbymidwest's picture

To sarcasm font or not to sarcasm font, that is the issue... right Earle?

Poison nuts's picture

Sarcasm font is dead. Long live the sarcasm font!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Actually, I applied the font, but the 11 W gods chose to zap it when the "save" button was hit. 

Kind of spooky isn't it?

+3 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Not even the start of his second season. I know the landscape of college football has changed drastically and when a star recruit doesn't play immediately or play significantly early on its shocking to some people, but you need to remember what happened with Troy Smith. Not saying Trey will win the Lombardi, but lets just see how it plays out and not try and figure out what Meyer is thinking or Trey is thinking on the matter. Im more concerned with how Grant's development has went considering all his pub out of HS than any of the other LB story lines. 

+1 HS

Grant has been progressing nicely the last two years  after a rough start. The thing for Trey is he has the best LB group in the Nation about to touch down in Columbus and they are hungry as hell. Not the right time in your career to be slacking off. He was slotted to take Shaziers spot.Now he runs the risk of getting blown by. I honestly think he will pull it together but we shouldn't be having this discussion right now either.

+2 HS
otrain2416's picture

At the end of the day I want to see the best player out there, but not gonna lie makes me smile seeing these Ohio boys in our backyard beat out these 4-5* nationally rated players. I'm proud of Lee so far. He earned his offer at multiple camps and is earning his starting spot on D. 

+3 HS

I grin from ear to ear considering I help coach a bunch of hungry blue collar Ohio kids that I would take in a second over a 5* prima donna. We see things that the recruiting services cant rank..Such as heart,desire,hard work,leadership,likeability,and many many other things. Makes me feel all warm and tingly when I see a great underrated Ohio kid achieve great success when his back is against the wall.

-1 HS
moopdawg's picture

Pulling for the walk-on, Mr. Joe Burger!!  In the classroom, he's definitely our smartest linebacker.  http://theozone.net/recruiting/2012_13/burgerwalkingon.html  The kid is a badass.

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

#BlameFickell .......for Trey Johnson's work ethic....and the whole defense....and hunger

JDunc686's picture

So I am guessing that nobody has heard or read anything on how Johnson has been doing in spring practices then?

+1 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

There was a post recently that said Johnson didn't have a great offseason so he's struggling to catch up with the other LBs. That's all we've heard about his spring. 

+2 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

I was thinking the same thing. 

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

BuckeyeJ's picture

How did he look today ?

bedheadjc's picture

To these eyes he looked lackadaisical and indecisive. Most of the runs plays I saw him in on had him allowing himself to be walled off or run out of the play. The last touchdown of the game against his squad was a perfect example. He sort of less than forcefully stepped up almost into the hole and then was walled off and ridden out of the play. You could see his frustration with the result as he got in to a half second shove war with the o-lineman that blocked him at the whistle.

As good, decisive, and comfortable as McMillan looked Johnson was the opposite.