Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Jarvis Byrd of NC St granted 6th yr of eligibility after getting injured 5th game of the season

otrain2416's picture
March 15, 2014 at 11:13am
13 Comments

I refuse to post the link because eSECpn is the only one of the big sites (SI, CBS, Fox) with an article up about it. Honestly it just makes my blood boil they'll give this kid an extra year and not Christian Bryant. Don't get me wrong I'm happy for Jarvis Bird because I can't imagine having a season injury like that but for the NCAA just to pick and choose who they want to get another year of eligibility with very similar circumstances (getting hurt 5th game of the season) is a joke. 

route4buckeye's picture

OMG ACC BIAS. I HATE ESPN. ESPN HATES US.

-5 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

OMG COMPLAINING ABOUT SOMEONE COMPLAINING ABOUT ESPN

-3 HS
brunstar's picture

The NCAA will literally have it's day in court in June and it will be exposed for the corrupt organization that it truly is.  I can't wait to hear it explain how amateurism allows it to use a person's likeness in a video game without compensation.  If I was one of Ed O'Bannon's lawyers I'd bring up oversigning and the Christian Bryant example of how the NCAA doesn't have the student athlete's best interest in mind.  I'd use the Miami and Yahoo Sports article about paying players in the SEC to show how it is biased toward certain conferences that happen to have major contracts with one particular sports network.

+2 HS
Scarlet-Gray's picture

I'm pretty sure he is not being given a 6th year based off last years injury, so it doesn't matter that he played in 5 games.  This kid had his first ACL injury in 2009 at the end of the season, then sat out the entire 2010 season because of that injury.  Then before the 2011 season he had another injury during summer workouts and missed the entire 2011 season. We all hate the NCAA, but quit complaining every time a kid gets a medical redshirt without actually checking for facts.

+14 HS
rosycheeks's picture

So that we have the facts, clarify a bit. So he played 2009, 2012, and five games in 2013? If that's the case, this is legit. Good for him.

+1 HS
Scarlet-Gray's picture

Yes Rosey. He played in 2009, 2012, and 2013. He's had 3 ACL injuries and a thigh injury that sidelined him in 2012.

+2 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Good post. Perhaps I went too over the top with mine, but it's irritating that people think the NCAA and ESPN are out to get us.

Scarlet-Gray's picture

I just assumed you were being sarcastic. Don't know why your being downvoted for it. Didn't you have a similar response the other day about the Georgia Tech player getting a medical redshirt? No on had a problem with that

route4buckeye's picture

I did. In fact, I got like 10 upvotes for it lol.

+1 HS
BROSEPH's picture

"Byrd sustained a season-ending ACL injury in the fifth game of last season -- the third time in his career he tore his ACL. He also missed all of the 2010 and 2011 seasons with separate ACL injuries. "

Little bit different than Bryant's situation.  Kid more than deserves to get a chance to play another season.  

This anti-NCAA/ESPN circlejerk here at 11W is getting unbearable.  

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

This anti-NCAA/ESPN circlejerk here at 11W is getting unbearable.

Kind of like those who complain about the complainers.

Anyone who is pro-NCAA should be banished from 11w for all time. Or at least until Tuesday.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
stewart3666's picture

Three acl injuries,  sounds like someone should save him from himself and just not let him play.

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Good for the kid getting an extra year - Injuries suck and hopefully he will enjoy his last year

+1 HS