Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

Greg Oden “I know I’m one of the biggest busts in NBA history"

AngryWoody's picture
May 9, 2014 at 7:58pm
10 Comments

“Are you kidding? I was a professional rehab/workout guy for four years. I wasn’t even a basketball player — just a guy who got paid to exercise. I spent four years trying to get back on an NBA court. Now that I’ve done that, it’s not fair to myself to complain about minutes. I knew coming into this that I wasn’t going to be the player I once was." - Greg Oden

Greg Oden gets painfully honest in an interview with former teammate, Mark Titus. It's called "Teaching Greg Oden How to Be a Bench Warmer". Titus tries to put humor in the story, but I'm warning you it's really sad to read at certain points.

rbesr's picture

I read it the other day. Sad, but Oden seems to have come to terms with his plight. The article shows me the quality of the man. I, for one, am proud to say he is a Buckeye! 

+4 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

He has more guts and self worth then 99% of the pansies in that league.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+4 HS
KBonay's picture

Until his career is over I refuse to acknowledge that comment. 

+4 HS
OSUStu's picture

Oden is showing his emotional maturity. Much respect to him for dealing so well with a dream that will not fully be realized. There is happiness to be found in many other things.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+3 HS
TheVictoryBell45's picture

Even though we only got to watch him in a Buckeye uniform for a year he was still maybe my favorite Ohio State basketball player to watch. Just seeing his size and athleticism inside had to be scary for opponents. I don't think we'll ever see a better rim protector at Ohio State than him. 

+1 HS
Remy's picture

Greg Oden has always been a humble guy and was a dominant force on the court at Ohio State.  Wish him all the success in his return.

I don't think we'll ever see a better rim protector at Ohio State than him.

Ken Johnson (1997-01) is Ohio State's blocked shot leader with 444 and ranks 8th all-time in the NCAA. However, I think the most explosive / exciting blocked shots have come from Sam Thompson. His dunks aren't bad either.

Ohio State's Block Leader
Slam

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Adam21's picture

Ken Johnson also played all 4 years, of course he is going to have more total blocks. Johnson (who is one of my all time favorites) blocked 3.5 shots a games over his career. Oden blocked 3.3. Johnson didn't eclipse that number until his junior year (an astounding 5.4!). Yes, Johnson did block more, but Oden was on pace to shatter Johnson's record. However; where Johnson really excelled at, was his ability to block the shots to one of his teammates. He was amazing at that.

THEOSUfan's picture

Greg gets an A for honesty and self-awareness.  Not too many people can tell themselves the blunt truth about themselves.  He endeared himself to me even more with that.  I hope to see him realize his potential at some point.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

If I could rewind that tape and watch him play his Frosh season again I would be the first one in line. Completely dominated every aspect of the game.