Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

B1G Basketball Tourney Coming To D.C.

703Buckeye's picture
May 5, 2014 at 7:10pm
6 Comments

The Verizon Center in D.C. will host the 2017 tournament, after which the site will move around. Until now the B1G tourney has only been held in Indianapolis and Chicago. I would imagine NYC will be a target but that will be hard since the Big East is in MSG and the ACC is in the new Barclay's Center.

It will be nice to see the B1G bring its brand to new cities. I'm sure (besides D.C. and NYC) that cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati would be great options as well.

I'm sure the Bucks will be well-represented in any city the B1G decides to visit.

The Verizon Center is home to the Capitals (NHL), Wizards (NBA), Mystics (WNBA), and Georgetown (Men's BB). It's a nice venue, located near lots of mass transportation, and is in a nice/fun part of the city. If you're wondering why there is Chinese writing on the building, Verizon Center butts-up to Chinatown, which is a fun place to visit.

Verizon Center Exterior

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/05/big_ten_basketball_tournament.html#incart_river_default

Deadly Nuts's picture

Please no... The B1G is too worried about East Coast exposure that they are losing interest from fans back here in the Midwest. Keep the tourney in Indianapolis or Chicago or attendance will drop. They're trying way to hard.

LEBRON

703Buckeye's picture

Attendance will not drop. Schools like Ohio State, M!chigan, MSU, Indiana, and Maryland will travel well no matter the location. Also, it's not like the B1G is abandoning the Midwest, they are just trying to build their brand. The league will, without a doubt come back to the Midwest.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

Deadly Nuts's picture

I need to re-word that... The attendance won't go down, but the true fan support will. Just imagine being a Wisconsin, Nebraska or Iowa fan. Three teams that will probably compete for the Big Ten in the future. Now, instead of a doable drive they would have to fly in which will cause their fans not to attend. Instead, Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State will have HUGE advantages.

LEBRON

703Buckeye's picture

Well, Maryland will actually be a threat in the B1G most years. Nevertheless, the tourney will be in D.C. for a single year and then rotate. I have no doubt a majority of the men's bb tournaments will be in the Midwest.

chicagobuckeye's picture

True, however it is still a long drive from Nebraska to either Chicago or Indianapolis for 1. Also, getting to DC and the stuff around it will be a draw for people to come as well. Plan a few day trip to the Nations Capital and catch your team in action will be quite a draw. Also, D.C. has good transportation in order to allow fans/tourists to get around.

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

There are also large B1G alumni bases in the D.C. region. Not including UMD, schools like OSU, PSU, and scUM have large bases here. For the further off schools, there are three airports (BWI, Dulles, National) available to fly to.