Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

Bracketology

I_Run_The_Dave's picture
February 7, 2014 at 12:49pm
33 Comments

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Looks like Joe Lunardi currently has us projected as a 5 seed...  and guess who the projected 1 seed in our region is?  Wichita State.

We got a lot of crap for losing to them last year, and also for playing close games with a few others.  It seems like all those teams (Arizona, Iowa State, Wichita State) are doing extremely well this year and may have been underrated last year.  

I would love this scenario to play out and give us a chance to upset them in the tourney this year to return the favor.  

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

The only thing I don't like about it is that UK is the 4 seed in our bracket...  that could give all of us some flashbacks from a few years ago that we'd probably not like to think about too much.

Killer nuts's picture

Yup, UK would be a bad matchup for us again this year, too much size and length inside

+2 HS
trock's picture

Take a look at all the teams in our region from last year. It was loaded. 

Crazy what two top-25 wins can do. I believe we were either an 8 or 9 seed and now jump to a 5 seed. Now we just have to finish strong and we have the talent to do it.

+1 HS
Killer nuts's picture

The biggest problem with being a 5 is we are immediately on upset alert with the dreaded 12-5 matchup

+1 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

If that 12 seed happens to be Missouri, then I share your dread.  They competed against Florida for most of the game this week.  We'd also potentially have to go through NC (if they can beat WSU), and we also have Duke and MSU in our region.  For whatever reason, Duke and MSU are always the 2 and 3 in the same bracket and they always play each other down to the wire.  Or maybe that was just last year, I don't know.  Brutal region, regardless.

Jeeves's picture

For some reason Lunardi loves to put either Kentucky or Florida in our brackets. 

+1 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

SEC SEC SEC!!!!

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

UrbanCulture's picture

IMO this team will likely get knocked out when they meet a team with a good front-court. I would not want to see what Julius Randle would do to Amir, Q, and Loving,

trock's picture

Lord help Amir if we played UK. 

+2 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Said it yesterday....I'd rather be a 6 seed.

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

In this hypothetical region, possibly.  But you'd have to beat an 11 seed (LSU is probably a more favorable opponent than Missouri), then beat a 3 seed (Duke), a 2 seed (MSU), and a 1/4 seed (WSU/UK) in subsequent games.  I don't know if that's better or worse than Missouri, then UK, then Wichita St, then Duke/MSU.  Brutal no matter how you hang it.

+1 HS

I agree with you.  I don't see a difference in 11 vs 12 or 3 vs 4.  Where I see the difference is in 1 vs 2.  I see it more from the perspective of elite teams.  This year, like years past, there are 2-3 really elite teams.  I don't want to play them.  I'd take our pressure defense against Duke and hope for a bad shooting day for them and I'd take us against MSU seeing as how we played them well at their place before I'd go for a matchup against Syracuse's zone or Arizona.  That said, there's the chance that we'd get the bracket with the weak #1 seed like we did last year.  Despite this last year, and what occurred last year and in previous years, we always get put in the most brutal bracket out there.  I just don't how we get the toughest bracket year after year.

+1 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

Exactly.  You look at the other 3 hypotheticals, and I see no more than 1-2 teams in each that I would be afraid to play against.  In those cases, you hope that you get the opposite half of the bracket and that someone can pull the upset for you.  In the hypothetical midwest, it doesn't matter where you end up, you will have to scrap and claw your way through the entire thing.

This is what happened to us last year...  by the time we got to WSU in the elite 8, we were spent.  WSU ended up having just enough stamina to outlast us, having had the opportunity to feast on a weak #1 seed in their half of the bracket.  And seriously, if UK ends up a 4 seed and we have to play them I will scream.  There is roughly a 1/11 chance (68 teams divided by 6 games maximum -- very rough, inaccurate statistics) of having to play UK, and that's assuming you get to the championship game.  Don't make us play them.

ColoradoBuck's picture

If by some miracle we beat Kentucky, I'd have us in the final 4 in that bracket. Which is crazy since I don't think this is a final 4 team. But a 3rd game against a Sparty team we almost beat on the road in the elite 8? I'd be down

ColoradoBuck's picture

Check that, just saw Duke is the hypothetical 3 seed. I'd take them over Sparty and us.

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

We beat Notre Dame who beat Duke earlier in the year, so obviously we'd handle them...

+5 HS

A cold shooting night and Duke is an easy out.  (so are we...)

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

I figure we will end up a 4-7 seed when its all said and done. This is the year we DO NOT want to be facing Cincinnati in the second round or any round for that matter. They are a very very good team and I had the pleasure to watch them in person this year. They are a legit top 5 team and the gloating and backlash from getting beat handily from them would be hard to overcome. It would effect recruiting locally and I would rather kill myself then here those fans pump their chests. Still a lot of ball left and hopefully some things will happen to change my feelings on this one.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

If Ohio State does play Cincy in the tournament, you'll also discover - if you weren't on 11W in 2012 - that some of our fellow Buckeye "fans" in here are also Bearcat fans.

EvanstonBuckeye's picture

This may be the best Cincy team I've seen in years. They are men; big, athletic men.

TMac's picture

Love that the team stopped turning the ball over, and you have to like our chances in a tight game at the end, but I'll still be surprised if we survive the opening weekend of the NCAAs. 

+1 HS
Kindell's picture

I have a feeling we are going to work our way into a 4 seed.  This team is such difficult to follow.  It would be so much easier for them to be either really good or really terrible.  Instead, they always give us a little bit of both.  I don't know what to think anymore to be honest.  I wouldn't be surprised if we went on a roll and only lost one more game in the BIG.  I also wouldn't be surprised if we only one two more games.

I have said this before, but is really hard to bet against Craft.  He has been a lot more aggressive lately, and this kid can will them to a win against almost anyone.  These next couple of weeks are going to tell us a lot.  Maybe that players meeting they had lit a fire in them.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Wichita St is not the same team as last year.  Without Malcolm Armstead, I don't think they have what it takes to make a run in the tourney.  I saw that team play twice @ Staples.  A lot of their scoring came from Armstead drive & dish.  Craft, who is usually one of the best on-ball defenders, struggled trying to cover him.  Most of Early's points were a result of his defender having to stop Armstead's drives to the basket. 

+1 HS
RBuck's picture

Most of the projected brackets I've seen have the Bucks as a #6; about half of them in the South region. I'll take that over the west anytime. I value my sleep.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

kareemabduljacobb's picture

As it stands right now we're 15th in RPI have have played the 9th hardest SOS, not bad when you consider we shouldddd be 21-3 (Never should lose to PSU or NEB)  I'm okay with the others, even though we were a missed layup at the end of reg. from beating MSU as well.  Ohhh well.

Tsun

@ Illini

NW

Minny

@ PSU

@ Ind

MSU

All top 100 RPI games and all winnable.  We win out and win a game or two in the Conf tourney we'll definitely be a 2-3 seed.   I'd be happy with finishing out with a 5-2 record putting us at 24-7 before the B1G tourney.  I think we'll end up somewhere between a 2 (if we win out and win a couple games in B1G tourney) up to a 4 seed at worst barring any terrible L stretch again.

Here's a site that is projecting tOSU to be a #3 seed and to finish the regular season 24-7..

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-tournament/bracketology/

CBS currently has us as a 5 seed in the West, but I like their bracket better matching up with a potential 4 seed in Virginia compared to Kentucky which Lunardi has at the moment.

Seattle Linga's picture

B1G prepares everyone for the tourney. Let's hope we can get it done in March and April

+1 HS

Lunardi's newest bracketology is out and has us as a 5 seed currently still but playing in the South region, matching up with Toledo first round... and instead of Kentucky, Virginia being the #4 seed, UF being the #1 seed.

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

I noticed that today also. Much easier bracket and I would love to knock florida out... much better than having to go through UK, MSU and Duke. I think scUM is in the bottom of that bracket, too, but I like our chances of beating them in March

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

So yesterday's Bracketology has UM and UK together as the 4 and 5 (and Arizona as the 1).  It's a shame both teams can't lose, but Arizona dispatching the winner is definitely a plus.  The negative is that we are the 6 in that bracket (I think us as a 6 is a little low, but once we win our next 3-4 games we should rise), but the 2 and 3 seeds are Virginia and SDSU, both of whom I like our chances against.  So the only challenger ends up being the winner out of UK/UM/Arizona which, to be honest, isn't bad at all.  Out of the 3, I'm going to go ahead and say maybe I like UK over the others (which is a contradiction of my previous opinions).

I'm a little confused, though, how Wisconsin is a 3 seed and we are a 6, given that we beat them in their place and there's only 1 loss difference (I know they have better wins than we do so the RPI likes them more, but a 3 seed difference is a lot).  I guess seeding for the B1G in the NCAA is a crapshoot at this point, since we're pretty evenly cannibalizing each other from top to bottom.  I think all of the B1G teams that get in can compete with anyone in the tournament and they are all sweet 16 potentials.  Even Nebrasketball, if they defy the odds and make it into the tournament, could be a dangerous team.

Exciting year in basketball for the B1G, all around.

mattanderson1985's picture

I think with Wisconsin they beat Florida so that helps their seeding. 

schlichtersbookie's picture

If Craft cant step up and hit that wide open jumper at the top of the key when his man is playing five feet off I do not see this team making it any farther than the sweet 16 IMO.  During games in which our offense has struggled (michigan 2nd half & Minnesota 1st half) Craft and Williams defenders have completely clogged the driving lanes for the other players. 

A Buckeye born and bred, a Buckeye til I'm dead.

MichaelJ721984's picture

One could say the offense has struggled the entire season... 

+1 HS