Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics discussion.

It's a good time to be an Ohio Sports Fan

KINGBUCKEYE419's picture
July 11, 2014 at 4:46pm
23 Comments

Lebron back with the Cavs

Coach Meyer and Thad doing big things for the Buckeyes 

Correction - Dalton and AJ Green one of the top duos in the NFL

Johnny could be the new Broadway Joe with the Browns

All we're missing is Ricky 'Wild Thing' Vaughn and Willie Mayes Hayes playing for The Tribe 

Correction - The Reds Killing it in the NL five straight 

The bad part is I'm more of a Bengals and Reds Fan but I love Cleveland teams too.

Baroclinicity's picture

Things are definitely looking up.  It is, indeed, a great time to be a fan here...

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+2 HS
Rob Reese's picture

No doubt brother.  But things can turn on a dime quickly.  Remember 2007?  Our beloved Buckeyes playing for a natty, the Cavs in the NBA championship, the Browns making the playoffs and the Tribe one game away from going to the World Series (where they most assuredly would've mauled the Rockies).  Then...well....things went south the following seasons for all the above.

It's what makes Ohio sports fans the best in the world, we've got the sports fortitude that no other state can rival.

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

The Browns went 10-6 but did not make the playoffs that year; they lost a tiebreaker to Tennessee.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+1 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Interesting that you left out any mention of Ohio's other major sports teams in southwest Ohio who just happen to be outperforming their Cleveland brethren in their respective leagues.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+8 HS

And not to mention that CBJ made the playoffs for only the second time in franchise history this year.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+5 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

And won two playoff games this year.

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

bigtenspeed's picture

Making the playoffs consistently for the last 4-5 years is no small accomplishment but the Red's or Bengals need to win a playoff series.

Funny how the Red's win 92 games and fire the manager but the Indians win 93 and throw a parade.

+1 HS
bigtenspeed's picture

Btw, I really like the Red's and go to 5-8 games a year due to living 30 min from GABP.

Groveport Heisman's picture

Same here with the Reds games and living 30 mins away and usually getting free tickets that many times. Reds and Bengals need to take that next step and get out of the first round. 

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS

I completely agree.

sox33osu's picture

2014 is truly a year that Ohio sports teams can look back on an relish. Bucks, Browns, Bengals, Tribe, Reds, Cavs, Jackets, whatever. We are a state that truly lives, eats, bleeds sports. Today is a day when, for the first time, we can say that we were chosen. The warm weather, the more appealing cities, none of that matters. Our community was one that an enormous star wants to join, and he made the statement in a loud, exclamatory way. The absolute best to Jerome Baker, going to Florida but today is a day for Ohioans.

O-H!

+4 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

the expectations for Manziel are astronomical. He is talented at the college level but what he did was similar to how Troy Smith played the game. I hope he succeeds for Cleveland's sake, but Browns fans need to chill out and see what he can do in an NFL game before viewing him as the second coming. Another thing: Joe Namath won a national title in college and was pro-style QB and earned the title of 'Broadway Joe' for winning a Super Bowl (III). Manziel was flashy in college, won a heisman, but never won a conference title or even approached a national title. He can do great things, but hold your horses on comparing him to Joe Namath. Right now, he's Tim Couch. 

+2 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Curious comments. Particularly the part about Browns fans and them needing to "chill out" before  "viewing him as the second coming."  And "the expectations are astronomical".  Where do you get your Browns news?  Are you in the area?  West sider? East sider? I'm asking because  I'm knee deep in Browns Country and I can assure you, without question and complete 100% certainty, no one is hanging Super Bowls on the kid. No serious Browns fan who understands the NFL anyway. I think there may be some genuine excitement about the possibilities here and there but nothing to confuse with "astronomical" expectations.

The "expectations" are right where they should be.

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+2 HS
bigtenspeed's picture

AGREE 100%! This Hoyer's job to lose.

DannyBeane's picture

Here's hoping he doesn't catch the Troy Smith flu that derailed his career.

The Urban Legend's picture

Cleveland Ohio rocks!

The Legend continues

+4 HS
buckeyebfd's picture

I heard this gem on the radio today on the Bill Cunningham show

irishfury's picture

My sports teams.

CFB:OSU

NBA:Pistons

Mlb:Reds then tigers

NFL:Det Lions

College bb: OSU

You don't want to know my feelings how rigged I think the nba is.

-1 HS

Billy Hamilton is another guy that is just awesome for Ohio and very exciting to watch. Think he is batting close to .290 now and has somewhere close to 40 stolen bases,40 RBI's,45 Runs scored on the season. Also while dominating at the center field position defensively. If this kid  can keep improving in all facets and maybe learn to take a few more walks we might be looking at another Ohio superstar.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS

This is kind of excitement baseball needs. And this is the kind of speed and hustle that becomes infectious.

OSUStu's picture

As a Pirates fan, that was a brutal game to watch last night. Brilliant play by Hamilton.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS

Yea I feel you on that you guys had  a nice lead and we just pecked and pecked like birds. Hamilton has been known to beat out ground balls,turn routine singles into doubles,and to make something out of completely nothing like he did above. Going to be fun to watch this young man mature to his prime.You guys are still right in the mix though,I'm dumbfounded thr Redlegs areonly 1.5 games out of the division lead with all of the current(Votto,Plillips,Bailey) and prior injuries we have endured.

-1 HS