College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

College facility arms race

+1 HS
hetuck's picture
March 6, 2017 at 10:28am
33 Comments

I know OSU has a waterfall in their treatment room and recently made other improvements to the Wexner football facility. I know OSU football funds the rest of the athletic program and pays back to the university as well. The attached article, however, makes a good point about priorities and amenities bordering on the absurd. Without checking, I'd wager UCF uses either state funds or student fees to subsidize athletics. We saw the same issue last year when LSU came close to closing down at the same time their athletic foundation built a rec center with a lazy river spelling out LSU. I know various B1G schools are planning facility upgrades with their new-found TV lucre at the same time states are reducing overall subsidy support. It will be interesting to see where this goes. I also would question the worth of a recruit choosing a school solely on amenities like brazilian hardwood, lazy river rafting, or a putt-putt course. 

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-lazy-river-d...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 33 Comments