College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Michigan Defense: A Tale of Two Seasons

0 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture
November 25, 2015 at 11:53am
13 Comments

Back when Michigan's defense posted three shutouts in a row in late September/early October against BYU, Maryland, and Northwestern, I tossed out a theory, which went roughly as follows: that it was important for Harbaugh and his coaching staff - having taken the reins of once-storied program that had fallen into mediocrity - to come out of the gate strong in their first year; so, perhaps part of the reason that they were destroying opposing offenses early in the 2015 season was that they were firing all of their schematic firepower (blitzes, disguised coverages, etc.) right from the go.

I wondered if, later in the season, their opponents would take advantage of what they saw on tape and start having more success. At that point, Michigan wouldn't have as many counter-counter measures in its arsenal, since they had unloaded so much ammunition trying to get a hot start in September/October.

I still have no idea if that theory holds any water. For whatever reason, though, Michigan's defense has not been nearly as dominant lately as it was in September/early October. In their first six games, Michigan's defense gave up only 5.1 points per game and held its opponents to a paltry average of 181 yards of offense per game!

In the last five games, Michigan's opponents have scored 25.2 points per game and gained 361.2 yards per game. It's almost like a tale of two seasons. Michigan still managed to go 4-1 in that stretch because Jake Rudock started to round into form. 

Hopefully, Ohio State's offense will keep that trend going and score 30+ points against Michigan on Saturday. If this semi-slide does continue into bowl season for Michigan, I will be curious to read - after the season ends - how their staff and program insiders explain it.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments