College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Just some Power 5 stats I compiled

0 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture
September 25, 2014 at 9:15am
30 Comments

I had a few minutes of downtime and decided to do a little research on OOC records for the B1G and SEC this season so far.  The Situational from yesterday got me motivated.

So we'll start with the SEC's OOC record vs. Power 5 teams.  They're 5-2 against the Power 5 with wins against: K State, Wisconsin, Texas Tech, Clemson and WVU.  The K State win on the road was legit for Auburn and LSU had no business beating Bucky.  I'm not impressed with the rest.  Most importantly is that the SEC has only played 7 OOC games against the Power 5.  There are 14 teams in the SEC and they've only played 7 OOC games against power conferences.  That also is only 20% of the 35 OOC games they've played.

The B1G is 5-11 against Power 5 with key wins against: Washington State, Miami(FL), Mizzou(The SEC East Champ in 2013), Pitt and Syracuse.  Definitely nothing to be admired but the B1G has also gone to play 16 of their 49 OOC games against power conferences.  This comprises of 33% of their OOC games.  

I haven't had the time to look into other conference's records and such and percentage of their games against Power 5 but I'm sure it's been more than 20%.  Seven, seven games and 14 teams.  Please tell me again how folks believe they play tough schedules.  This is not to mention that as far as I have looked and can recall, the SEC will not play any more power OOC games.  

My argument is not that the B1G is better because honestly, it's not.  But it's also not that far behind as it is portrayed.  The difference here is that B1G teams are actually testing themselves to some degree whereas the SEC is not.  

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 30 Comments