College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Marcus Mariota & Braxton Miller

305Buck's picture
July 29, 2014 at 5:28pm
17 Comments

Can someone with extensive football knowledge explain to me how Mariota is a projected top 5 draft pick, while some say Miller may be a 3rd or 4th round draft pick?

If Miller continues to improve his passing and plays the way he played in the 1st half of the Wisconsin game, while staying healthy all year then I believe he will be a 1st round draft pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4mLEuvE8AQ

rdubs's picture

Passing.  Mariota was lights out passing last year.  Normally Oregon has relied heavily on the running game, but last year they became much more of a pass first offense than they have had with previous QBs and it was lethal.  If Braxton has that type of season and can be consistent with his passing, he will move way up too.  Also Mariota is a bit taller if I recall correctly.

+6 HS
305Buck's picture

Correct, but Mariota threw the ball 131 more times than Braxton last year. If you look at YPA Mariota had 9.5 while Miller had 8.2. Braxton also had inconsistent pass catchers, and Carlos Hyde which hurt his numbers more. That and all the running plays he had. I hope he has improved and gets a chance to show it this season, and can stay healthy.

+1 HS
rdubs's picture

So he was better each time he threw it and he threw it more frequently.  Those two things basically define being a much better passer.  Hyde was great and Braxton is a great runner, but that wouldn't matter if Brax was averaging 10 ypa.  I agree to an extent that our WRs weren't amazing last year, but this year that should be less of an excuse because there should be a lot of options to throw to.

+3 HS
rock flag and eagle's picture

In addition to Mariota's higher ypa passing stats, don't forget the running.  While Miller makes plays on the ground, don't forget that Mariota has been more efficient than Miller with his feet too.  Miller averaged 6.25 yards/carry this year.  Mariota averaged 7.45.  That's more than a yard difference.

So, in terms of total offense yards/play (passing attempts and rushing attempts) Mariota average 9.09 yards/play.  Miller averaged 7.42 yards/play.

305Buck's picture

Watching that video, I see at least 4 catches that would have been made if we had a split end. Hopefully our WRs can get better at creating separating too, that will also help Miller.

KBonay's picture

I think you answered your own question:

If Miller continues to improve his passing

+3 HS
Bucki78's picture

"But I don't have to rely on a lot of people to tell me about the traditions of Ohio State. I lived it, I breathed it, I know it and I love it." - Urban Meyer

+3 HS
lljjgg's picture

IMO the difference between Miller and most other NFL caliber talent I watch on Saturdays/Sundays is touch. He is one of the best deep ball throwers I've seen. Where I'm often disappointed is in the touch of his throws on short and intermediate passes. I've seen this mentioned a lot of other places so I don't think I'm alone in seeing it, but he throws a lot of fastballs on short and intermediate throws that blow one's mind. Whether hitting the turf or flying over the WRs head, his short and intermediate passing game is very inconsistent. If he could develop that touch, I think he could reach that next level and be a 1st Round Draft Pick. Can you develop touch though? I think that's the question. Do some QBs have it naturally? There have been games where I've watched him and thought, he is a FANTASTIC passer (Wisconsin game last year), and others where I just don't see that NFL level accuracy/consistency (Clemson game). Another question I have, is how much (if any) difference did his shoulder issues have on his decline in the passing game from the Wisconsin game mid-year to the Clemson game at the end? I wonder if the hits he has to take game in and game out add up and lead to his passing inconsistencies. Sometimes you see him out there and he just looks winded; I can imagine being out of breath and shaking off a hit from 6'2"/240lber after 6'2"/240lber could make it difficult at times to regain one's focus and establish a consistency in passing form.

FROMTHE18's picture

IMO, Mariota runs the offense better than Braxton due to his quicker decision making and better ability to sling the ball around. Don't get me wrong, Braxton is just as athletic and just as capable, but I think as of right now, Mariota is more fine tuned than Braxton. We will see what type of improvements Braxton has made, but Mariota's passing game is better than Braxton's atm, reminds most of Russell Wilson.  

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

Mariota last year was a much more consistent passer than Braxton. While Braxton is the better runner, Mariota is very good as well. Mariota is able to run an offense slightly more effectively because he makes quicker decisions when passing. Of course, braxton mostly makes up for it with his athleticism,

+1 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

Braxton is going to air it out this year; 3000 yards 30TDs.  I blame a lot of the lack of production last year on the receivers plus such a good running game.  This year I have a really good feeling about the receivers. I truly think they are so much better now the returning starters wouldn't make my top 3.  Plus the receivers are going to break some  little 5-10 yard routes for 50-60 yards that Bratxon gets credit for in his stats.

-1 HS
bigDbuck's picture

Braxton crawls into hole latter in season when things get tough / game planned. And it's very obvious. But he has better tools than r Wilson, just about getting head straight. 

JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Mariota is insanely good

Buckeye fan from PA

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Well so is Braxton, he was the B1G offensive player of the year twice wasn't he? Not exactly a slouch, but Mariota is absolutely a better thrower from what we've seen.

+1 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Yeah Braxton isn't exactly human either, but I would chose Mariota because he is a proven passer.

Buckeye fan from PA

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Brax needs to start all games (no injuries this year) and showoff what he can do with his arm.  The NFL is definitely not about making plays with your feet...everyone is a freak athlete at that level and you'll get killed trying to be cute.

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Agreed, It seemed like B. Miller was making more plays with his feet than his arm towards the end of the season. And when he did use his arm, a good chunk of it was during play action where the receivers were way too open. Miller wasn't showing enough passing skill.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS