College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

July 1 is coming...

0 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture
June 19, 2014 at 9:26am
13 Comments

This recent article on SI.com discusses why Maryland and Rutgers was a great add for the B1G.  It basically boils down to projected population growth and how that's going to factor in to future talent pipelines revenue.

A few snippets I enjoyed:

First was in relation to Michigan's state of the union

Michigan has been sending emails pleading with fans to renew their season tickets. "It seems like they keep pushing and pushing to see what our breaking point is," Cook says of the conferences's power brokers. "They keep doing things they know people will hate."

Michigan's conference home games this season: Minnesota, Penn State, Indiana and Maryland.  That's gotta sting.

This I found interesting as well:

"The Big Ten brand has not atrophied, but you can argue that other brands, like the SEC, have accelerated past it," said David Carter, executive director of USC's Sports Business Institute. "If you don't do something, you're in trouble." Delany is betting that something is a pair of institutions light on football cachet and heavy on potential.

Full article found here.

EDIT:  Forgot to add this one:

Ohio State fans are tired of having to defend the league after winning 24 straight and still not getting respect," says blogger Luke Zimmerman.

I'd have to agree with this 100%.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments