Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2023 Tailgate Fare - Week 1

+23 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
August 31, 2023 at 10:31am
41 Comments

Tailgate Fare Season 9, The Farewell Tour

It all began in 2015 with a little Buffalo Chicken Dip, and it grew into a fall ritual (of sorts).  But, alas, it is time to say so long.  As much fun as it’s been, we’ve taken this thing about as far as it can go, so we’re going to try to go out in style, and with a twist. Look on the bright side, we got an official 11W Cookbook out of it!

It's better to burn out, than fade away.

As we begin another campaign for Natty #9, I wanted to start this thing off right. A buddy shared this recipe with me over the summer and it might be the best thing I’ve tried in years!

But, before we get to that, here’s the twist to this season's TGF.  Each week we’re going to find a complimentary recipe from past editions, either from a featured recipe or the comments.  Maybe we’ll feature something you shared with us along the way. Without further ado, I present to you…

Smoked Shotgun Shells

Ingredients

• Ground beef
  • Hot Italian sausage
  • Onion
  • Sharp cheddar cheese
  • Cream cheese
  • Jalapeno
  • Slap Ya Mama seasoning
  • Garlic powder
  • Black pepper
  • Red pepper flakes
  • Manicotti shells
  • Barbecue sauce
  • Bacon 

Directions

1. Mix all ingredients except the bacon and extra barbecue sauce in a large bowl. Note: I didn't know what they meant by "extra barbecue sauce", so I just added a healthy amount and continued mission.
  2. Gently stuff the manicotti shells from both ends, making sure there are no air pockets.
  3. Wrap bacon around each shell.
  4. Brush additional barbecue sauce on both sides of the shells and place them on baking sheet.
  5. Place the wrapped shells of the grill grates. Smoke the stuffed shells at 250 degrees in a preheated smoker for 60 minutes.
  6. Flip the shells, add more barbecue sauce if necessary, and continue smoking for another 60 minutes or until the bacon is crispy.

Pro Tips

• Be very gentle when stuffing the manicotti so you don’t break them.
  • To ensure your manicotti is completely stuffed, you can use something like a chopstick, or the end of a wooden spoon, to press the mixture further into the shell, pushing it in from the open ends of the pasta shells on either side.
  • Use your favorite wood to smoke these shells. Any will work well.
  • For a mild version, use mild Italian sausage and omit the jalapeno and red pepper flakes.
  • For something a little different, try using chorizo in place of ground beef and Italian sausage.
  • Use your favorite barbecue sauce flavor for this recipe.

The Greatest Hit

This week’s blast from the past comes to us from the very first TGF, and it’s both the very first comment and the first reader-shared recipe.  Hat tip to RubixTube for sharing these treats:

Deep Fried Tequila Shots

Ingredients
  • Angel Food Cake/Pound Cake/Sponge Cake
  • Lime zest (garnish)
  • Powdered sugar
  • oil (for frying)
  • tequila
  • Sugar (garnish

Directions

1. Cut the cake into small squares, dip in tequila, drop in oil until golden brown.
  2. Remove from oil, place on a paper towel (or cooling rack) to get rid of excess oil, sprinkle w/powdered sugar.
  3. If you want the presentation bonus, roll the rim of a shot glass in sugar/lime zest & throw your tequila bites inside (pictured)

I hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend to close out summer.

Go Bucks! Hoosier daddy?!

Previous editions of Tailgate Fare

11W Community Tailgate Cookbook

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 41 Comments