Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

LEGAL ADVICE NEEDED - Neighbors Are a Nightmare - UPDATE POSTED IN COMMENTS

+12 HS
J's picture
January 10, 2022 at 8:50pm
186 Comments

My wife and I purchased a new home, built next to an older, small apartment complex in Florida (built last year). The apartments are all one bedroom; however, there is one specific tenant that is causing problems for many others in their building - and for us as neighbors. Since moving into our home in mid-July, 2021 the city police have been to their apartment at least half a dozen times. Today, I was walking out my front door to take my dog for a short bathroom break. I noticed the police were slowing down to pull into the neighboring apartment complex.

The neighbors had a window open, and were yelling at each other. As I began to walk down my driveway, one of the male tenants loudly said "shit" and threw a small baggie into my yard. I went to look at it, and as soon as I got close, it was clear that it was marijuana. Not only did the smell give it away, but so did the residue inside of the bag. I called the city police, I let them know they had two units dispatched and were speaking with my neighbor and one of the tenants threw the plastic bag into my yard. A female officer took it and then gave it to another officer to handle.

After the police left, I could hear the neighbors arguing again - very loudly. I then heard things hitting my house. I walked outside as the female tenant was throwing random things into my yard - a red bull can, pieces of paper, and a name tag for a local grocery store. I came around the side of our house and she stared at me. I told her to stop throwing garbage into my yard (sternly, but quietly). She stared at me for a moment and then told me to mind my own f'ing business before cussing me out and going upstairs. She immediately came to the open window facing my property and told a male tenant "that's the mother f'er that was talkin' sh*t." Then, there was shouting and name calling from both of them while I just stood there in awe. I began to video tape what was happening, and doing my best to simply remain quiet.

The male tenant told me that he was coming downstairs to "see me" (whatever that means). There was other shouting where people were telling him to remain inside. I called the police, explained what was going on, and that I also had a piece of identifiable information thrown onto my property by them. The police stated they would send someone out, but never did. I went to a doctor's appointment, came home, and there was more trash in my yard (a broken bottle of Crown Royale, a used cigarette lighter, and pieces of random plastic).

I called the city police again, yet they just took my name, address, and phone number and said they would be in touch.

I really want this to stop. I want this to be resolved peacefully. I am worried for my own safety, the safety of my wife, and the safety of my dog (with the broken glass in particular). What options do I have if the police are not coming to take a report and threats continue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ADDENDUM: I have learned from another male tenant that there are four total of them living in a one bedroom apartment. Two males, one female, and a toddler. I am not sure if this is relevant, but want to be as thorough as possible.

TL;DR - Neighbors are throwing garbage and in today's case, drugs, into our yard.  They are also verbally threatening (not directly threatening harm).  The police seem uninterested in helping, so looking for legal options to shut this down ASAP as I am worried for my family's safety.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 186 Comments