Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Dealing with a Tailgate Crasher

+11 HS
RK84's picture
October 3, 2016 at 11:35am
72 Comments

What do you do with a tailgate crasher?

Last weekend at a tailgate, not one of my usuals, but one I helped one of my friends plan and put together we had a slight problem. Everything was normal, got in early, got a good spot, started setting up. Crack open a couple of water beers (miller lite) to get us going.  Planning goes great, TV is set up for those that wont being going into the game, food is ready, kind of a brunch feel because of the nooner. All is good, friends and fans start circulating, people are talking, listening to music and having a good time.

This is where it gets a little off, a group of younger people stop by, probably mid-20s. I don’t have a problem with people stopping by my tailgate, my friend doesn’t either. We are a more the merrier bunch, want a beer? A shot? A snack? By all means, come on in! A real Go Bucks kind of community, like I think most of us are. The group, 3 men and 2 women, were drunk when they rolled up around 10:30 am.  Again, no biggie, have fun, get loaded, talk to people, have a good time. Most people either move on with thanks or they just disappear, no problem, lots of tailgates, lots of people.  This group was different. They hung around, eating and drinking, and carrying on just a little too much, got a little too comfortable. In the beginning it was funny, and we all joked and remembered being that young, then it got to be too much. They were louder than normal, weren’t very appropriate, and not very thankful for the hospitality we so openly provided. They were there to mooch and get as much for free as they could.

My friend was clearly not having fun any longer and people at the tailgate were more focused on this group than the game or the fun. I was not happy, so I walked up to the group leader, and said hey thanks for stopping by, but I think its time for you guys to move on, Go Bucks, be safe out there. The guy and the group got really shitty, cussing and getting a little chippy. I grabbed the one guy that was clearly the one in charge, and politely, but not so nicely said, look you guys have had a good time, drank some beer, eaten some food, but if you don’t drop the attitude and leave now, this is not going to end well for you. I told him to have his group grab a beer and kindly leave. He wasn’t happy but complied.

This brings me back to the original question, what do you do with a tailgate crasher? And is what I did considered ok? I never want to be the asshole with a tailgate, but I think it got out of hand.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 72 Comments