Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

An Early Father's Day Thought

+7 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
June 18, 2016 at 10:02pm
36 Comments

Watching the Royals-Tigers game tonight, they interviewed Justin Verlander. During the interview, they asked JV some questions about his dad, being Father's Day weekend and all. And, they brought his answers up again when they were discussing KC's First Baseman, Eric Hosmer, a short while later. 

They thing they discussed with those two guys is how neither of their fathers helped them at the thing their best known for. Verlander said his dad knew nothing about pitching, so he never helped him with that. Similarly, Eric Homer's dad said he never worked on hitting with his son. 

Now, this isn't to slight either dad. Quite the contrary. Both dads were involved in their son's lives and development in baseball, but they didn't try to hover over them and steer them. They supported them, they helped them where they could, and they were there. 

That's my early Father's Day message. Don't worry about molding your kid into what you want him or her to be. Don't try to make them perfect. Don't try to turn them into all stars. Just be there. That's what they need from you the most. They need your time, attention, and support. You know what else they need? They need you to let them fail, too. That's how they learn how to dust themselves off and handle adversity. 

I guess I just thought that what those guys did for their sons was worth sharing, because it made me reflect on my own parenting. In our own way, I hope we all raise our children to be Justin Verlanders and Eric Hosmers in their respective walks of life. 

I wish each of my fellow Dubber Dads an early Happy Father's Day. I hope you all have a great day tomorrow, and always. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 36 Comments