Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

The story behind the song.

+9 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
May 31, 2016 at 4:11pm
90 Comments

Do you know a good story behind a song? And, not just any story, but the real story - the one people may not know about. Is it a song that people think is about one thing, say last call at a bar, but it's really about the birth of a child?  That would be this '90s hit by Semisonic:

One such song, which is resonating with me now more than ever, has been a favorite of mine since I first heard it about 14 years ago.  It's a song written by Alex Band, who is the creative genius behind The Calling, which isn't as much a group as it is Band with musicians he hires to back him up.  Band wrote the song about a friend of one of his grandparents who had recently lost their spouse after more than 50 years of marriage. 

He was trying to wrap his head around what it would be like to lose someone after being with them for so long.  He said that he felt that it would have to make you feel completely lost and desperate to do anything to be reunited with your love.  The video doesn't reflect the true meaning of the song, but listen to the lyrics and you'll hear the message behind the words.

Do you have a song to share?  Just embed the video, if able, and tell us the story behind the music.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 90 Comments