Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

BAD COMPANY’S FIRST GIG – NEWCASTLE CITY HALL, 3/8/74 – TIMH

+5 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture
March 8, 2016 at 7:35am
58 Comments
Paul Rodgers – Boz Burrell – Mick Ralphs – Simon Kirke

Be one of the first 400 people to listen to this youtube recording of Bad Company at their first live performance. Sounds great for being taped 42 years ago. Good thing I was there to record it from the soundboard, eh? Enjoy!

Okay, okay. I wasn't really there. But, someone who was had brilliant foresight about the special group. In fact, there seem to be 2 or 3 bootlegs of this show. Anyway, when I found that today is the anniversary of Bad Company’s debut concert AND discovered that it had been nicely recorded for posterity, it was like the rock gods were telling me what to write about. Serendipity.

In 1973, Paul Rodgers’ band Free blew apart, leaving him searching for a new group. Paul had been Free’s principal songwriter, signature voice and guitarist. Paul met and jammed with Mick Ralphs, guitarist, singer and songwriter for Mott the Hoople. They played a little “All Right Now” and a little “Ready For Love” and it was pretty freakin’ good. Mick decided to leave Mott and throw in with Paul. They recruited former King Crimson bassist and singer Boz Burrell and Free drummer Simon Kirke. Rodgers dubbed the supergroup Bad Company, and then fought off record company efforts to change their name. They were the first group signed to Led Zeppelin’s Swan Song label.

The first thing the band did was hit the studio. In November, 1973, they were given a two-week slot when Zepp would be away. The thought was that maybe they could get a couple of tracks laid down. Instead, in a magic flurry of creativity, in just two weeks they completed their eponymous debut album with songs left over.

Bad Company’s blues infused, straight ahead rock sound would become more popular in the US than at home in the UK. Rodgers cites influences Cream, Hendrix, and Steve Cropper/Booker T and the MGs. “Basically, we played like a bar band but soon it was clear that the bars were getting very large indeed!”

Newcastle City Hall

Bad Company began playing out in March, 1974, starting with the gig that is the subject of this TIMH. They quickly took the act to the US, where the reception was overwhelming. Bad Company was released on June 26, 1974, and went to #1 on the Billboard 200 album chart. “I Can’t Get Enough” peaked at #5 and “Movin’ On” at #19 on the US singles chart. 40+ years on, their discography includes 12 studio and 5 live albums.

This Summer, Bad Company, including original members Paul Rodgers, Mick Ralphs and Simon Kirke, will be in the US with Joe Walsh on the 26-stop “One HELL of a Night Tour”. The groups will alternate as headliners. They kick off in Dallas, TX, May 12, and will hit Jones Beach, NY, June 14, Blossom Music Center, June 26, and Pittsburgh, June 28.

Bad Company. Maybe one day, soon it is hoped, they'll get their due and get into the HOF. Until then, we'll just love 'em.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 58 Comments