Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

AC/DC’S DEBUT ALBUM RELEASED FEBRUARY 17, 1975 – TIMH

0 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture
February 17, 2016 at 7:44am
94 Comments

All of you AC/DC fans out there, and I’ll bet very few have ever heard this album.The world got its first earful of the new hard rock band from Australia when AC/DC released its first album, High Voltage, 41 years ago today. This version was only released in Australia. I guess they liked the album so much they used the title for a different album released internationally and in Europe the following year, and then re-released half of the 1975 album in 1984 as ’74 Jailbreak, and two more of its songs in 2009 on Backtracks. It’s really less confusing than it sounds. Suffice it to say, hard-core AC/DC fans and those who want to trace the origins of the HOF group might like to see how it all started.

AC/DC is the spawn of Scottish-born, Australia-bred brothers, Angus and Malcolm Young. The two guitar players formed the band in 1973, and within a year replaced their glam-ish lead singer with the more down to earth and straight ahead vocalist, Bon Scott. They also replaced the rhythm section, but High Voltage was recorded in late 1974 and still has the original bassist, and the original drummer on “Baby Please Don’t Go”. Here’s a shot of Bon Scott singing that tune on Aussie TV in March, 1975. Obviously, the band was still weaning itself from the glam rock look, though the song itself  absolutely cooks.

Other fun facts about High Voltage:

• Produced by older brother George Young, who also contributed some bass, rhythm and backing vocals
  • Co-produced by Harry Vanda, George’s band mate in Easybeats (“Friday on My Mind”)
  • Malcomb played his only lead guitar parts on “Soul Stripper” and “Show Business” and also tossed in some bass
  • The only AC/DC keyboards are heard on “Love Song”
  • The version of High Voltage released internationally in 1976 contains only “She’s Got Balls” and “Little Lover” from the original album, plus all the songs from the late ‘75 Australia-only release TNT
  • “Baby Please Don’t Go”, “Soul Stripper”, “You Ain’t Got a Hold on Me” and “Show Business” were released internationally on ’74 Jailbreak in 1985; the obscure “Love Song” and “Stick Around” were released internationally on Backtracks in 2009

High Voltage was a hit in Australia, rising to #7 on the album charts. Its success fueled the band’s confidence that they had a winning sound, and encouraged them to hit the road, a place they’ve called home for over 4 decades.

AC/DC’s 2016 US and European Tour kicks off in Chicago, IL, tonight, and hits Columbus and Cleveland on March 23 and 26, respectively.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 94 Comments