Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

I'm not a staff member of 11W, but I do have a suggestion..

0 HS
CCatanzaro's picture
October 21, 2015 at 11:23am
43 Comments

I noticed today that the "Black Saturday" shirts are on sale now, starting at $20.  This is the expected result of a novelty shirt, which is designed and sold for a very specific purpose.  The shirt is additionally exclusive in that there is a pronounced dividing line between the fan-base, with one faction being extremely in favor of events like Black Saturday, and the other being of the more traditionalist camp who would prefer the team and fan-base reflect the true "school colors".  This post is not intended to determine which side is right or wrong.  

The black-out was, by most accounts, a success.  Not only did most of the crowd comply with the requests of Coach Meyer and the University by uniting in black, but also, of course, ended with a resounding victory.  It should not be overstated, though. Was it a legendary event?  Not really.  Was it cool?  Yeah, probably.  Is that enough to cause people to retroactively buy the Black Saturday t-shirts in order to commemorate a win over PSU?  Maybe, but, probably not that many people, hence the discounted price.  Now, I'd like to discuss the specific purpose of this post:  Ohio State winning, and the shoe being "Blacked Out" were not the only events of Black Saturday.  Long after I've forgotten the score of the PSU game, after the black-out has been replicated on numerous occasions, I will still remember The Punt. 

The day Harbaugh continued the first year coach versus Sparty curse. 

The day UM's 2015 playoff hopes likely died. 

The day many of us laughed until we were in pain and/or pissed our pants.

I will remember that play forever. 

Black Saturday has a different meaning to me now, and, therefore, I will be capitalizing on the opportunity to purchase a Black Saturday t-shirt.  This shirt, with completely coincidental foresight, doubles as a reference to a great, albeit not particularly "historic" day for Ohio State, but, perhaps more notably, to one of the worst days in the history of UM football.

So, my proposal is this:  Those of us who are able, should assist 11W in getting rid of some of the Black Saturday inventory, especially at the totally fair discounted price, while procuring for ourselves a shirt that is reflective of not only a cool piece of OSU history, but an absolutely HILARIOUS day in Michigan history.

Thanks for reading, and GO BUCKS!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 43 Comments