Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Bitten by a Rattlesnake?

0 HS
LABuckeye's picture
July 13, 2015 at 11:18am
154 Comments

On Saturday, I was running alone in Colby Canyon in the Angeles National Forest. The trail was slightly overgrown and rocky in many parts. On one rocky section, I was forced to walk, and suddenly hear a rattlesnake RIGHT AT MY FEET. As in, I was probably stepping on it. The rattlesnake dance ensues. I may have jumped high and far enough to win the NBA slam dunk contest. As I jumped, I felt a harsh tap on my lower leg. I look down when I land and see one nice round little blood spot. I was certain I was tagged by the snake. I tried to stay calm as possible and hiked out to my Jeep, then drove down out of the mountains. I ended up being fine. I will never know for sure if I was actually bitten, but more than half of all rattlesnake bites result in no envenomation, and my understanding is that the bite itself often doesn't hurt. On showering at home, the spot bled for a little while, but then there was nothing but a tiny hole and small bump. I was lucky.

After years of crazy wilderness experiences in North, Central, and South America, I will assert that nothing has ever happened to me that was more terrifying than the rattle at my feet. I dreamt of rattlesnakes all night that night.

Has anyone else here been bitten by a rattlesnake or had a similar experience?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 154 Comments