Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Modems, Routers, & Cable choice

0 HS
osu07asu10's picture
December 4, 2014 at 11:11pm
23 Comments

(The new warning about 11w jail is awesome, I digress)

I guess I am showing my age? Or maybe my complacency with technology?

For the last 7 years, my home internet set up has always been a service provider's modem (DOCSIS 1.1 or 2.0) and a now 7 year old Netgear Wireless G (802.11g) router. This set up had always seemed to work fine until I tried to rely on streaming content for my cable service only.

I have a Slingbox, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. A host of euro sites to stream sporting events I didn't get on cable or wouldn't get without it. The thing was, the quality and more importantly the stability of streaming just wasn't there.

I purchased a Note 4 recently which got me to do a little research on the whole 802.11 wifi connections, which the Note 4 does the all new 802.11AC.

Holy hell was I missing out. I purchased an 802.11AC Zoom modem/wifi router with 334mbps, 8 channel download, 4 channel upload, dual band (2.4ghz & 5ghz).

The bottom line is my internet is so fast and stable now (I have a 15mb package from WoW) I dropped my cable, saved $71 a month, and now have two Roku Streamsticks, a Slingbox, and an external antenna to pick up local stations over the air through my coax outlets in the house. 

Some friends have talked of an Android XBMC box that I know little about but it sounds like free TV sans the commercials, although most likely not legal ha.

Anyhow, I'm cable free (again) but this time absolutely love it because the streaming content actually works. So, how far behind the times was I? What does everyone else do for cable?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments