Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

The Ohio State University vs. Alabama

apack614's picture
August 14, 2014 at 9:19am
31 Comments

Is anyone else watching Sportscenter? About how has Alabama recovered from multiple loss seasons under Nick Saban.

We all know and completely understand that Alabama is a good team. There is no denying that, but how good will they be this year?

• Can their cornerbacks get it done this year?
  • Will they find a quality QB in Blake Sims or Jacob Coker?
  • If they do find a quality QB in one of those two will their O Line be able to protect them?

I don't know if you guys have really thought about it but Alabama is in the same exact situation we are. Can our corners step up and get it done? If Braxton goes down (for the love of god please don't happen) can Cardale come in and save the day? Finally, we lost all but one starter on the O-line for this year, can they come in and protect a injury prone QB?

They are also coming off a 2 loss season in which they lost a conference game to Auburn, going on to lose to Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl. We are both in the same predicament.

My question is, who is going to bounce back more?

Personally I have a feeling Alabama is going to upset a lot of fans by having yet another 2 maybe even 3 loss season.

bakerjon's picture

From your lips to God's ears Apack614

"It's all ball bearings these days guys"

+7 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I know some people may not agree with this but their schedule is not as difficult as the media will lead you to believe it is. They play WV to open up in the Georgia Dome. WV is no powder puff - my 2nd cousin plays on their team but to play it in the Georgia Dome is a head scratcher.

But to have a BYE before you play LSU and to play the Juggernaut Catamounts the week before you play Auburn at HOME is laughable.

Get ready for Lou Holtz to mention how strong that Western Carolina team is this year.

+7 HS
Catch 5's picture

Yes, their schedule isn't as tough as it could be, but it is better than most think - they face 4 teams in the pre-season top-25 and 6 in the top-30.  You didn't note that LSU also has a bye the week before and that Auburn plays Samford before the Iron Bowl.  Seems pretty fair to me.

Make their asses quit! - Nick Saban

+1 HS
apack614's picture

I agree, I think we will all have a better taste for how LSU will play this year after the Wisconsin game. Although I still want Whiskey to win, I would love nothing more than to see Alabama lose to LSU!

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Catch 5's picture

LSU is extremely young, but extremely talented.  That season opener will be a fun one to watch.  I could see LSU going anywhere from undefeated to having 4 losses and 4th in the SECwest.

+2 HS
apack614's picture

I completely agree, should be a really interesting season for the kitties

Hoody Wayes's picture

'Bama's replacing its QB . They'll be 11-2, again. So will the Buckeyes, unfortunately.

I think Michigan State will win the NC.

And I think LSU is good. I think they will win the SEC. If things play out for Hoke as we expect, Miles rides out of Baton Rouge on a high note, bound for AA.

-2 HS
Catch 5's picture

They won a national championship the last two times they replaced a QB.  I don't think that will be a problem.  With the amount of talent Bama has at RB and WR (insane) all they need is a competent OL (which they should) and their offense will be fine.  The defense is strong as well, but did have problems with the secondary last year - mostly due to youth and injuries.  Those younger players have another spring and summer under their belts and I expect the secondary to be a strength when all is said and done.

No, if you are looking for a weakness at Alabama, look squarely at the kicking game.  They will start a new sophomore kicker (yes, the guy who tried the fg at the end of the Iron Bowl) and need to replace the punter as well - a position that was quietly solid for the Tide the last several years.  If a team can hold Bama to FG attempts and play the field position game, there could be trouble there (most will look at LSU for this, but I'm more worried about Ole Miss and Florida, honestly)

-1 HS
I'm Ron Burgundy's picture

Yes, but out of those teams are any actually any good outside of LSU and Auburn?  Who knows, and the same can be said for pretty much anybody's schedule. The SEC is always going to have 6-8 teams in the preseason top 25 whether they are deserving or not. From there it just kind of becomes a self fulfilling prophecy of the "strength of the conference" and "beating one another up."  

One thing that can't be disputed though is, outside of an average at best Big 12 opponent in WVU, Bama's other 3 non-conf games are complete poop.  And whether you like it or not, that WILL drag down Bama's SOS severely in all of the computer ratings. While those are not a part of the official formula anymore, they will be referenced and a very legitimate arguing point for fans of teams from other conferences (and SEC teams too I imagine).

+1 HS
Burnsy's picture

The sole reason the game is in the GA dome is so all of the bammers can come into Atlanta, clog up 75 and 200, and leave me sitting in traffic blasting hang on sloopy and Carmen ohio while screaming O-H-I-O out the window as well as the occasional war eagle. Last year against Va Tech was a nightmare. NASCAR and the braves all had events that day and no one could get anywhere.

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

First of all, I highly recommend FoxSports1. Although it has a similar feel to the programming on ESPN, I think overall it is a much better network.

Bama has recruited well enough to be very good again and probably won't lose more than one regular season game. I think people are giving Coker too much credit, however. I know that Saban's system is tailored for a game-manager QB, but I still think that he will struggle. As long as Braxton stays healthy, I think OSU has the better chance of improving from last year.

buckeyebobcat

The Rill Dill's picture

Personally, I couldn't give a rat's ass about Alabama.  The new king resides in Columbus, Ohio.

+9 HS
BierStube's picture

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+16 HS
THE's picture

Amen brother. 

Unless they're next up on our schedule or in the news for arrests/bag men/Saban being a jerk, then I don't give a flying F about those guys. They're not defending champs of anything other than the most awesomely crushing defeat to their arch rivals I have ever seen. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+1 HS
sharks's picture

The Auburn loss was the flukiest of flukes, and while OU beat them fair and square; Bama/FSU would have been epic. Saban outrecruits everybody every year, so they'll be fine. That said, their situation isn't like OSU's, the Bucks have a top 2-3 qb and Bama has some unknown commodities...

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+7 HS
blocko330's picture

Not only was the Auburn loss a fluke I think OU played their best game in 3 years that day against Bama - - Fair and square victory, yes, but if you watch that game some of those passes (and catches) were flat out ridiculous..not to mention typically on 3rd down. 

I think Bama will be just fine (though I would love to see them falter).

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

+3 HS
osubuckeye134's picture

I'm not getting on the "Saban out recruits everyone" train.  I will say that he does a good job winning the political/media battle of what recruits are ranked what by the various ranking sites.  

Rob Reese's picture

The Auburn loss was the flukiest of flukes

+1

However, in fairness to Auburn, even if that fluke play doesn't happen it's not as if Alabama wins.  In fact, the score remains tied going into OT.  50/50 on who wins that one.

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+2 HS
Catch 5's picture

True, and they (AU) likely win as Bama SUCKS in OT historically.  Foster had a decent year up to the IB last year, but he did have a tendency to miss in blocks and had missed a couple already in that game.  Since OT often comes down to missed/made field goals, no one liked the Tides chances there.

The title of flukiest of flukes should go the play a couple weeks prior that won the Georgia game.  That was on par with the immaculate reception.

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

The title of flukiest of flukes should go the play a couple weeks prior that won the Georgia game.  That was on par with the immaculate reception.

4th and 18, WR has 4 defenders around him on a pass that should have been intercepted , tipped.......TD.  Definitely a fluke. 

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

The Ohio State?

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Thank you. I hate this. It's either Ohio State or The Ohio State University. This isn't the buffet line. You can't just pick and choose. 

+5 HS
apack614's picture

Yes, sorry didn't realize I didn't finish that

+2 HS
Furious George 27's picture

IMO OSU should bounce back better because we do not have Lane Kiffen.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Alabama/OSU discussion…same story, different year. Comparing OSU to Alabama right now is silly. Bama and OSU are in two different situations, and IMO the team that everyone should be comparing themselves to is FSU. I don't think Bama is as good as the preseason hype is indicating. They lost quite a bit from last year, and sure they have a ton of elite prospects, but I feel like its the 2010 version of Bama. Their schedules is very friendly this year with the only real tests being at LSU and home against Auburn. IMO, OSU's schedule is tougher than Bama's. I think they lose a couple, probably at LSU, certainly could lose to Auburn, but I see a hiccup along the way (maybe at Tennessee or at Ole Miss). Not drinking the Bama kool-aid yet. 

+1 HS
Catch 5's picture

Setting aside the bottom of the schedules, Bama plays the #5, 13, 19, 20, 27, and 29 teams in the preseason Coaches poll.  OSU plays only the #8 team within the top 30.  The next team on OSU's schedule getting votes is Michigan at #32.  Yes, Bama has some really bad teams on their schedule that brings the average down, but for a Top-10 team you shouldn't look at the average opponent, you should look at how many times they will be challenged, as the fact of the matter is that teams outside of the top 30 pose little threat and those outside of the top-50 pose almost no threat to top teams (which Bama and OSU are).  While I don't deny that Bama's schedule sets up nicely for them, I disagree with the notion that it is a cakewalk, and certainly disagree that it is easier than the Buckeye's.

+2 HS
cplunk's picture

I don't see Alabama having much difficulty because their schedule is fairly easy. The Auburn and LSU games are tough. Everything else? Not so much. Texas A&M is a big giant question mark without Johnny Football, and nobody else is very scary. If we were playing their schedule my only concerns would be those same two teams, LSU and Auburn.

-1 HS
HoopHal's picture

Remember Satan has the best recruits that money and jobs for friends and family  can buy,so of course they will be very good again thiis year.

+1 HS
HeuermanTheFireman's picture

Please lets not pretend like their schedule is easy, because it isn't. This is college football, almost any team can bring it any week and give their opposition trouble. Nothing is given and their schedule certainly isn't anywhere near easy.

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

+3 HS
Jabba1977's picture

I hope they go 0-12!!!

SECHATER77

+1 HS
Eph97's picture

They have WV, LSU, and Auburn. We have VT, MSU, and UM. I'd say the schedules are about even. I just don't ever want to see that travesty of a title game repeated again where two teams from the same conference play.

+1 HS