Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

BassDropper's picture

Legend

http://www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/mrsdoubtfire__140417010005.jpg
EDIT: I just read not too long ago that they were making a sequel to this movie...anyone know the status of that (if it's finished or if they began filming)

DIRECTIONER

+10 HS
TheAFBuckeye's picture

Agree.  Unfortunately, I don't think they started filming.  If it does still happen, it just won't be the same...

Let's Go BUCKEYES!!!!!

mshaf's picture

First seen him on Mork and Mindy. Guy was very funny and smart as hell. RIP Robin

+2 HS
cinserious's picture

Mork and Mindy got him started and his career shot up from there! Robin Williams was nonstop hillarity from there on out. Chris Farley comes to mind, as does Jon Belushi. Actors taken away far too soon! Robin Williams lasted longer but he must have had his own personal demons following him...

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

highwire's picture

Terrible. Goodbye to one of the all-time greats. 

+2 HS
awarren84's picture

Beth Mowins reporting?....might be Robin Hood!

"Anything less than flagrant is just playing grab ass!"

edr4225's picture

Rest in Peace

lets go bucks!!

+7 HS
lljjgg's picture

Hook was my favorite movie growing up. Also loved him in Jack, Jumanji, Dead Poet's Society, Good Will Hunting, the list goes on.

+3 HS
QueenCityBuckeye's picture

:( First the news about Kyle and now this?? Today's turning out to be a real downer...

+3 HS
Furious George 27's picture

Suicide suspected.... Sad

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Suicide at 63? That's depressing. I'm in a sad mood now. Robin always seemed like the type of guy that would live on, like George Burns kind of live on. I always pegged him to be near or past 100 years old. You will be missed greatly!!!!!!

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

To me its almost beyond words bad when a person who always had the ability to make me laugh can no longer find their humor......

+3 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

Loved him as the genie in Disney's "Aladin".

+3 HS
buckeyebfd's picture

My first reaction was holy shit, RIP.  

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture
So many great stories about Robin Williams, guy was absolutely insane, but so amazingly funny. So many of the best scenes from all of his movies were made up by him on the spot in the middle of a take. One of the truly truly funny people out there. RIP
+10 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Talented guy that entertained many over the years.

+2 HS
M Man's picture

It's a tremendous shock here.  Williams' father was a Detroit auto executive and while Rob was not born here, this is where he grew up.  He went to Detroit Country Day School (Chris Webber, Shane Battier, Microsoft's Steve Ballmer, recent Michigan linebacker Kenny Demens, current Michigan freshman WR Moe Ways).

+7 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

My high school head died Sunday. Now Robin damn.. Rip

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Wow, that is horrible. I guess he had to go see about a girl.

+9 HS
theopulas's picture

well said.....

Theopulas

+1 HS
Rocket Man's picture

Sad loss.  Depression is terrible.  He brought so much laughter to so many, I never would have suspected.

Never put off 'til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely.

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

What terrible news. Peace be with him and his family. I may have to see if I can find Robin Williams: Live on Broadway to rewatch. That was a truly funny stand-up if you haven't seen it.

Such a shame that someone that made so many people laugh was in such a bad place that he could do this to himself.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

ralEbuckI's picture

And not just the comedy, he was a very accomplished actor too.  From Good Will Hunting and Dead Poet Society to Death to Smoochy, One Hour Photo and Insomnia.  He was a rare talent who successfully made the crossover from stand up comedy to award winning actor.  A tremendous loss for the arts and for his many fans.

+1 HS
M Man's picture

Here's one to look up and put in your film queue:

What Dreams May Come

+2 HS
Brutus's picture

When he reunites with his dog in that movie....not tears, just straight bawling. Every time I think of my first dog that we had to put down, I hope that's how it will be when I see him again.

OSUStu's picture

Great movie.  Here is your scene:

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

theopulas's picture

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!

Theopulas

+1 HS
vitaminB's picture

Nanooooo Nanooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

+6 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

This sucks. RIP Robin!

Grande Gustavo's picture

Wow, that really sucks...

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check. 

BTBuckeye's picture

This sucks. Robin was the man.

ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

This is such sad news on so many levels.  I'll always thank him for helping me to appreciate the underappreciated genius he was when he started on his early journey...

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

The worst part about things like this is knowing that a man that spent his whole life making millions of people laugh while dealing with depression himself.

+1 HS
DannyBeane's picture

Damn. This is one of those celebrity deaths that just hurt. I remember loving the show Mork and Mindy when I was a little kid. All his movies, comedy bits etc were pure genius. I'm in shock. Here's to him finally being at peace though.

+2 HS
PortlandBuckeye45's picture

So sad... These are manly tears y'all!

What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

Shock.  I got to see him do stand up twice.  I spent the whole time practically crying with laughter.  He battled demons for so many years.  It sucks that they finally got him.

He was the King of Improv.  Well, definitely at least the Prince depending on where you want to put Jonathan Winters.  I alway remember him doing Who's Line Is It Anyway?.  If ever a show was made for someone it was him.  Too bad he was too big a star, we might have gotten to see him as a regular on the show.

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

He has a few skits that no matter how many time I see I still laugh uncontrollably. His whole HBO special is killer.

+1 HS
Brutus's picture

Pretty sure Jonathan Winters played his son on Mork and Mindy.  I was just a kid, but if I remember correctly, people from Ork aged backwards or something like that. Loved the show as a kid and wouldn't have known who Winters was without it.

For those that haven't seen it, go watch Death to Smoochy. Of all the great Robin Williams comedic performances, this one was the best in my opinion. Popeye is also grossly underrated.

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Stunned.

The man touched so many.

RIP

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Sad Face.  Losing a tremendous talent.  From Mork to Good Will....

southbay's picture

I didn't always like the movies he was in but he was always good.  He was brilliant as Walter Finch in Insomnia.

Habu71's picture

Sad news, he brought so much laughter. I'll miss every character as each one comes back to my memory. 

Jack Burton's picture

O Captain! My Captain!

It's all in the reflexes - Me

+5 HS
JOhio1560's picture

I'm in shock right now... Robin Williams was one of my favorite entertainers.  He was truly one of the funniest men to ever walk the face of the earth.  

Rest in peace Robin Williams.  You brought joy to so many people and you will be greatly missed.

"You Win With People" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
clogan1032's picture

His early stand up was so damn good. You will be missed, my best go to you and your family. 

+1 HS
dwcbuckeye's picture

This is a guy that seemed to have it all.  A local to me living in SF.  I heard he was having severe issues with depreciation.  That affliction is tough to beat as I went through a bout myself some years ago.

RIP Robin, you were won of the all-time bests

stcburn's picture

Such a loss, just truly sad.

crusher's picture

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the movie Best of Times? That movie was great. It may be my favorite Williams movie.

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men

+2 HS
airbuckeye's picture

I'M in total shock and had a lose over this one. He was a master at his art and yes he was right up there with Jonathan Winters. I remember Mork and Mindy well and how he use to go off script and they just let him go. He made that show the hit it was while it was the air.

Damn he was that kind of actor that come's along only once every 40 or 50 years that lights up the screen. He will be missed and i know Billy Crystal and Whoopie are going to take this hard. RIP Robin

+1 HS
Ramzy Nasrallah's picture

Rest in piece, genius.

mobboss1984's picture

Man this one hurts. What a great man!

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

+2 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Heart is broken. RIP,  Mork.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+1 HS
pjtobin's picture

As a fan of his work and a man myself with horrible depression battles, this is horrible to hear. Depression is such a silent diesease. Maybe some awareness can come from this. 

Bury me in my away jersey, with my buckeye blanket. A diehard who died young. Rip dad. 

+7 HS
buckeyedude's picture

This is how I felt when Phil Hartman died. RIP Robin.

GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

Felt similar when Carlin went down. That guy was awesome as well, but with his age it wasn't a shock. Robin won't ever be forgotten.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

Depression is an awful thing. Went through it once and it felt like I could do nothing right. So glad that I have gotten better now. It is not just a mindset, it feels like a dark cloud that always surrounds you and unlike what many think, you can not just "get over it". 

+7 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

It seems like every couple of years an accomplished comedian kills themselves or ODs. I wonder if there is a link. Like they try to keep things light and funny all the time and make a career out of it because they are constantly on the run from their internal demons.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

A lot of times, people who don't know how to deal with their internal issues mask them with comedy because they don't want others to really know what they're going through. Tim Allen is another example of this. 

+2 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

This seems appropriate. Cracked

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

Danify's picture

Rest in Peace... O' Captain, My Captain.

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I can't even come up with words for this...other than RIP

Class of 2010.

brandonbauer87's picture

My initial reaction when hearing about this was "just another internet hoax". Such a shame. I knew he had troubles, but I thought he had a handle on it. The world lost one of its truly funny men today. 

+1 HS
TBDBITL0509's picture

Every time I heard his voice over the iPad Air commercial with our marching band, I got chills... RIP.

+7 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Aladdin was one of my favorite movies growing up. RIP.

Buckeye fan from PA

+1 HS
highwire's picture

It's crazy. I watched Hook Friday night for the first time in ages. I'm not a movie person by any means, I have a hard time sitting through them. Still, I enjoyed it. Having not watched it in probably ten years, you notice new things. After I heard the news, I started thinking about his other movies. Jumangi is a favorite of mine. He will be dearly missed. Many, many people are mourning tonight.

brunstar's picture

He was a huge supporter of the US Military and did several USO tours.  Great comedian, he will be missed.

Nanu Nanu

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Loved him on Happy Days

+6 HS
umbyosu's picture

Rest in Peace!  You left us too soon!

highwire's picture

I apologize if I'm over-posting, I really enjoyed the man. Here's a cool video.

+4 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I don't think it's possible to over-post Robin Williams. He will always be a legend.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

The world just got a lot less funny.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+3 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

You know, everybody dies. My parents died. Your father died. Everybody dies. I'm going to die too. So will you. The thing is, to have a life before we die. It can be a real adventure having a life.

-Jenny Fields, The World According To Garp

Thank you for sharing your adventure with us T.S. Garp.

+4 HS
bodast67's picture
Farewell Comrade...

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Will be sorely missed in this world of too serious. May he be the Jester of the Afterlife.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
MordenoftheSith's picture

He was on my Mt. Rushmore of Comedians to See Live.  I was surprised by my parents in 2001, my 21st birthday, when they presented me with two tickets to see Robin Williams at the Palace Theatre.  It was an amazing show.  Even his bombs kind of got a nervous chuckle.  RIP Mr. Williams.

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

+2 HS
Crumb's picture

Maybe I'm just sad about the star of one of my favorite childhood movies (Hook) passing away but I think suicide is one of the most tragic forms of death that can occur in the world.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

Damn. I'm need to go watch Jumanji, bye.

+1 HS
apack614's picture

R.I.P., Friend.

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Robin Williams may be the first celebrity who died that actually impacted me. I mean, I grew up and watched Hook, Ms Doubtfire, Jumanji, Aladdin hundreds of times. But you know what I'll think of first when I remember Robin Williams?

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

+1 HS
BucksFan2000's picture

It's hard to think of many performers with his range, plus it's hard to pick what was best.  His stand-up, comedic movie work, improv moments, dramatic acting...  everything was top notch.  He also looked like the kind of guy that, if push came to shove, could kick your ass.  But instead, he was apparently one of the nicest, most giving people you'd ever meet.  What an immense loss.

+1 HS
Frimmel's picture

I haven't been able to get this from "Watchmen" out of my head since I heard this news.

“Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.”

+9 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Good post, Question

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

Frimmel's picture

Thanks. I'm a big fan of the O'Neil and Cowan run. I'm also glad to see I'm not the only Buckeye to know "The No-face Guy."

luckynutz's picture

Surprised that no one has mentioned Patch Adams. Such a wonderful movie on an extremely dark topic. To me, that movie encapsulated Robin Williams perfectly. A man who could reach you even in the darkest times and help you find a way to smile. Sad to learn his own pain was too much overcome. Not only comedy, but the film industry in general lost a legend and master of his craft. Farewell good sir....your legacy of laughs will live forever.

+2 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

First time I saw Robin Williams was watching Mork and Mindy with my dad.  Such a great comedian, actor, and man; taken away from us too soon.  

Good/ funny interview with DP about two years ago.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+2 HS
Gray Box's picture

R.I.P. R.W.

"It is our hope the focus will not be on Robin's death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave millions." -Susan Schneider | Robin Williams' Wife

+1 HS
doodah_man's picture

Cuts me to the bone. I was amazed that his inspiration was Jonathon Winters. Growing up in the 60s Jonathon Winters was the reason for allot of my smart assed, class clown behavior. They talk about comic genius. No one could hold a candle to him. RIP Buddy.  

Jim "DooDah" Day
It is hard to play dirty against a man who picks you up.

+2 HS
Eph97's picture

RIP. A true comedic genius. Two of my favorite movies of my youth were Good Morning Vietnam and Dead Poets Society.

+1 HS
BennyBucks's picture

Last Night at the Comedy Store in LA

#FBGM

southbay's picture

I've been watching media coverage today and am thinking we will be hearing some interesting theories as to why this man had financial problems after achieving what he did.  

Eventually the facts will come out.  

My other thought on this is that the film industry is all about youth these days and even people like Robin Williams eventually get shut out...

I'm afraid this is even more sad than we could have imagined.

-1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Was thinking about Williams' career today & started wondering where the actor who played Rufio in Hook is today. Turns out he wrote about Robin on his blog today...

Today Robin Williams past away and it’s been so surreal, it felt like it came out of nowhere… A text message from a friend made me aware of the news and frantically I jumped online to see if it was true. Sadly, I found out it was and even more sad, I read of the circumstances. I couldn’t keep reading the stories online for it’s too sad.

At times like this, I get very reflective and being a writer, I guess it’s best to write and what better place but my blog. It’s surreal because I haven’t seen Robin for many years yet in he’s so connected to me due to his close involvement in the biggest role of my career in “Hook” where he played Peter Pan and I played the punk kid who took over as leader of the Lost Boys when he left Neverland… Rufio.

.../cont/...

The rest can be found HERE.