Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Laptop repair recommendations in Central Ohio?

hit_the_couch's picture
August 11, 2014 at 9:18am
20 Comments

Is there anyone on here that does laptop troubleshooting and repair, or can recommend a reliable business or individual in Columbus or the suburbs, thanks.

Oyster's picture

I don't know about laptop repair, but I hear that the Hot and Ready Pizza at Little Ceasers is pretty good.

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

+5 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Still $5 bucks? There's a Little Caesar's about a mile from my place down in Worthington. It's also conveniently located next to the only DVD/ video rental place I have seen in years that isn't a vending machine. 

Speaking of vending machines, aren't we at the point where I can just buy a new laptop from one? I mean they have some that sell fishing worms, so why not electronics?

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Port Columbus airport. Concourse C I believe (delta one) has a best buy vending machine. Don't know about laptops but has your other electronic needs. 

+2 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

Buy a laptop from a vending machine? What, are we now Japan?

I have seen machines that vend iPads so I imagine it's not long before we see laptops.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

doesn't even come close to the Combo Mambo deal, best ever!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+4 HS
RedStorm45's picture

I have had decent success with "The Laptop Guy."  I assume they're still around.

+1 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

Just don't go to the Geek Squad...seriously don't go.

What's wrong with it anyway?  I used to do a little help desk work.

+3 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

It's a HP DV6 6135-dx model. Anyway, something is different about the processor on these either the fan is separate or it's built onto the processor (I can't remember which one is traditional). It gets hot and slows the processor down. I think it runs too much too. 

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

osu07asu10's picture

At the risk of sounding elementary,...have you opened it up and given it a thorough cleaning with some compressed air?

If not, I would start there because there is bound to be dust, hair, dirt built up inside of there. Often times though with age, a processor does end up running more as the OS and programs you run become more advanced they demand more processing power from your computer, running more, and causing more heat.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

At the risk of sounding elementary,...have you opened it up and given it a thorough cleaning with some compressed air?

I can't quit get the damn thing open. I don't know if i'm missing screws (mental ones also) or just lack the proper tools. When it comes to electronics, I would just trust someone else more than myself. Plus, it's been doing it (not as bad) since about a year after I bought it. I honestly think I got a lemon.

I'm not offended if someone talks elementary; there's a number of things I don't know and prefer simplicity and everything basic involved with stuff. It's not uncommon for me to miss simple/ forget about simple steps: no problem, man.

Byaaaahhh's picture

Two things:
Like osu/asu said, clean out the dust.

Also, if it's somewhat old, chances are you'll need to replace the thermal paste that conducts heat from your processor to the heatsink/fan. After a while, it can get dried, crack, and become less effective at conducting heat away from the processor. It's a really simple process to replace it and thermal paste is less than $10. 

essentially all you do is open your laptop, take out the heatsink, scrape away the old paste, apply a new layer, and put everything back together. 

Here's a good guide that will walk you through and has detailed pictures. Now, there may be something else wrong, but if it's just getting hot and you're still getting good airflow around your laptop, like not using it on blankets, this is a likely issue.

+1 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

Definitely needs a clean.  The fan is most likely having to run too frequently because the dust is blocking it.  I would try as the other mentioned before you take it anywhere because paying 50+ for a cleaning would piss me off if I had to pay it.

+1 HS
Crimson's picture

If you're worried about the processor, there's a few things you should check before you go to a repair guy.

1.  Check what programs are running.  You can use Ctrl + Alt + Del and the task manager (show from all users or show hidden programs), or check Resource Monitor, under Programs > Accessories > System Tools.  If there are programs eating up a bunch of your processor, search google for them and close them if they aren't necessary.  There are programs that hide by default, so you want to find elevated access.

2.  This goes along with 1, but antivirus search can run in the background, as can Windows Update.  If one of those is the problem, consider a new antivirus, or change windows update so that it only runs manually.  Windows Update can be a pain, and it sometimes runs half of your processor until you check for updates if you aren't connected to the internet.

3.  Look at Programs and Features in the Control Panel.  Uninstall every program you have never, and will never, use.  Especially with Windows 8, they can run without you knowing.

4.  Under Run or Search, type in msconfig.  You can disable some programs from running on startup, which will also help you boot faster.  Less programs running is always better.

+2 HS
InTressITrust's picture

So much this.  I will not buy a big electronic device from Best Buy again so I do not have to deal with Geek Squad.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Accurate IT 

They are largely a commercial electronics recycler but do offer repair services for laptops. They won't try and pull one over on you and are probably the cheapest you'll find in cbus.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
RBuck's picture

I've used Staples a few times and they're pretty decent.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

+1 HS
RubixTube's picture

http://www.ubreakifix.com/locations/gahanna/There's a ace in Gahanna (Mill St) called 'U Break I Fix' that has done great work for me in the past. Recovering data from completely dead HD's, swapping out parts & repairing Apple devices (phones, tablets, iPods). If you're still in need, they may be worth a shot.

Never before in the history of man have lives less lived been more chronicled. - Dennis Miller

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Das Boot. It's on High Street right across from campus. Seems kinda sketchy but they do great work, and it's a lot cheaper than most places. They have very high reviews for a reason.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Thanks, everyone.

airbuckeye's picture

I have used the same computer guy for over 15 years and he his the best out there and his price's are not high. He is over in Groveport and the name is U DO Computers.